Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cannot pass results from EMW study to Stationary Study - Bug or Mistake?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Users,

I am having a problem with passing results from the first study to the second study of my model. I am simulating a PIN solar cell and the simulation is divided into two parts:

- Study 1 – Light (EMW): emw simulation, electromagnetic waves simulation. The electric field due to a light intensity of 100 mW/cm^2 is calculated inside the full structure. From the electric field, the divergence of the Poynting amplitude vector is calculated and used for the calculation of the optical generation term G = div(S)/(hf);
- Study 2 - Electrical: drift-diffusion model. The previously calculated generation term G is used as the reaction terms in the transport of diluted species nodes (continuity equations).

The main problem is that when G is calculated in Study 1 and used in Study 2, there is NO photogenerated current density visible from the Current Density (voltage sweep) graph in Results. However, when EXACTLY THE SAME G profile (apart from a few random fluctuations), this time calculated with the Beer-Lambert law, is used (therefore with no data form Study 1), a photogenerated current IS VISIBLE from the same graph, showing an short circuit current of about 7mA/cm^2.

The two G are plotted in Generation Rate in Results. The two G are defined in Model 1 ->Definitions->Var1.

If the two G are basically the same, why there is a problem in passing values from Study 1 to Study 2?
How can I sort this out?

Thanks in advance,

Samuele

2 Replies Last Post 13 ott 2016, 13:04 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Samuele Lilliu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 13 ott 2016, 11:58 GMT-4
Hi, I met the same problem. Did you resolve it?
Hi, I met the same problem. Did you resolve it?

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 13 ott 2016, 13:04 GMT-4
Hello,

Although the original question predates its existence, what's being asked about here is now handled with the Semiconductor Module (www.comsol.com/semiconductor-module) which handles the coupled frequency-domain electromagnetic, and stationary, or time-domain, drift-diffusion equations via a so-called "Frequency-Stationary" or a "Frequency-Transient" solver.

An example which you may find relevant:
www.comsol.com/model/gaas-pin-photodiode-19705

Best Regards,
Hello, Although the original question predates its existence, what's being asked about here is now handled with the Semiconductor Module (https://www.comsol.com/semiconductor-module) which handles the coupled frequency-domain electromagnetic, and stationary, or time-domain, drift-diffusion equations via a so-called "Frequency-Stationary" or a "Frequency-Transient" solver. An example which you may find relevant: https://www.comsol.com/model/gaas-pin-photodiode-19705 Best Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.