Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatics vs Electric Currents Interfaces. Something is wrong...

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I mentioned this in an earlier post. I believe I have an inconsistency with the software (COMSOL Multiphysics Base Package). This may or may not be intended. When picking between the Electrostatics and Electric Currents Interfaces, I believe that the the basic functionality should be the same.

I have attached two different models of 3 copper "terminal" like objects in the middle of a relative insulator. I want to see the electric field and potential field mapped onto the geometry. One model uses the Electrostatics Interface and the other uses the Electric Currents Interface. Each model has a potential on the left terminal, ground on the right terminal, and nothing assigned to the middle terminal. Theoretically, the voltage should vary linearly from the potential to the ground with a little glitch in the linearity over the middle terminal. This is what the file "Electrostatics_ForumQuestion.png" file shows, which is the correct one. The other picture file "ElectricCurrents_ForumQuestion.png" shows an incorrect interpretation of the model (a non-linear change of the voltage with respect to the distance between the potential and grounded terminals). I have also included the corresponding Comsol model files for each one if you would like to see more.

Maybe I am missing something theoretically here. If these models do vary for some mathematical/physical reason (which I am obviously completely blind to :) ), could someone please explain to me why?

Thanks in advance for your time!
John

3 Replies Last Post 28 gen 2013, 14:14 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 gen 2013, 15:47 GMT-5
Hi John,
For the electric current problem the conductivities appear in the equation, whereas in the electrostatic problem it is the permittivities that appear. The permittivities of Copper and Nylon are close in values, whereas their conductivities are about 18 orders of magnitude apart. This results in completely different looking solutions. If you change the value of the conductivity of Nylon to be similar to that of Copper in your electric current model, you will get a solution that looks similar to that of the electrostatic problem.
Jeff
Hi John, For the electric current problem the conductivities appear in the equation, whereas in the electrostatic problem it is the permittivities that appear. The permittivities of Copper and Nylon are close in values, whereas their conductivities are about 18 orders of magnitude apart. This results in completely different looking solutions. If you change the value of the conductivity of Nylon to be similar to that of Copper in your electric current model, you will get a solution that looks similar to that of the electrostatic problem. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 gen 2013, 12:18 GMT-5
Jean-Francois,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Looks like I'll have to go back to studying my E/M book a little bit :)

John
Jean-Francois, Thanks for your helpful reply. Looks like I'll have to go back to studying my E/M book a little bit :) John

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 gen 2013, 14:14 GMT-5
Hi

If you select MEF with the ACDC module in the latest version (at least in my 4.3a) you have both amperes law (MF) and "Ampères law and current conservation" (à la full MEF) and "only" "Ampère's law" (à la MF) but in "EC" "Current Conservation" you do NOT have the additional option "charge conservation" à la "ES"

I'm not sure why, perhaps it's foreseen once ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi If you select MEF with the ACDC module in the latest version (at least in my 4.3a) you have both amperes law (MF) and "Ampères law and current conservation" (à la full MEF) and "only" "Ampère's law" (à la MF) but in "EC" "Current Conservation" you do NOT have the additional option "charge conservation" à la "ES" I'm not sure why, perhaps it's foreseen once ... -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.