Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface growth and moving mesh (ale) ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am building a CVD growth model using the heavy species transport, much similar to the silane growth model. My geometry includes a small trench (um scale), where I deposit the material. Is it possible to use the moving mesh system to actually move the edges of the trench according to the growth rate? In this model the setting does not seem to be as straightforward as in electrodeposition models, so if it is possible then how would this be done?

Thanks,
Lauri Lehtola
Aalto University

2 Replies Last Post 5 feb 2013, 06:40 GMT-5
Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 feb 2013, 10:20 GMT-5
Yes this is possible. Check these examples:
www.comsol.com/showroom/product/electrodeposition-module/
kind regards
Niklas

Hi,

I am building a CVD growth model using the heavy species transport, much similar to the silane growth model. My geometry includes a small trench (um scale), where I deposit the material. Is it possible to use the moving mesh system to actually move the edges of the trench according to the growth rate? In this model the setting does not seem to be as straightforward as in electrodeposition models, so if it is possible then how would this be done?

Thanks,
Lauri Lehtola
Aalto University

Yes this is possible. Check these examples: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/product/electrodeposition-module/ kind regards Niklas [QUOTE] Hi, I am building a CVD growth model using the heavy species transport, much similar to the silane growth model. My geometry includes a small trench (um scale), where I deposit the material. Is it possible to use the moving mesh system to actually move the edges of the trench according to the growth rate? In this model the setting does not seem to be as straightforward as in electrodeposition models, so if it is possible then how would this be done? Thanks, Lauri Lehtola Aalto University [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 feb 2013, 06:40 GMT-5
Ok, great. What would then be the correct expression for the depositing normal velocity? When I have the trench in the geometry, I get faster deposition rates near the opening than in the bottom, so I would like the mesh to follow this growth.
Ok, great. What would then be the correct expression for the depositing normal velocity? When I have the trench in the geometry, I get faster deposition rates near the opening than in the bottom, so I would like the mesh to follow this growth.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.