Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to reduce numerical diffusion problem when simulating micromixing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Comsol friends,

I have a short question - my simulations of micromixing exhibit rather fast mixin compared to the measured results, especially at high Peclet numbers (~ order of Pe~ 10 000).

I've red in the manual that this can be reduced by making smaller mesh and using higher order of discretization. I've reduced the mesh to about as much as my computor can hendle it.

Has anybody of you come across this situation? What would be your advice how to fix this, if reducing the mesh size is rather difficult?

Thanks in advance,
best regards,
Izidor

2 Replies Last Post 13 feb 2013, 09:00 GMT-5
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 feb 2013, 08:41 GMT-5
Hi Izidor,

COMSOL Model #14031 is a very good COMSOL example involving a split-recombine mixer that demonstrates the use of higher order discretization for low diffusion fluid mixing.

You can also check an alternative approach we developed using steamlines or particle tracing described in this COMSOL conference paper (www.comsol.com/cd/direct/conf/conference2012papers/papers/area/fluid/13779/)

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Izidor, COMSOL Model #14031 is a very good COMSOL example involving a split-recombine mixer that demonstrates the use of higher order discretization for low diffusion fluid mixing. You can also check an alternative approach we developed using steamlines or particle tracing described in this COMSOL conference paper (http://www.comsol.com/cd/direct/conf/conference2012papers/papers/area/fluid/13779/) Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 feb 2013, 09:00 GMT-5
Hey Nagi,

thank you very much for the instructive answer. Firstly, I'll try to check out the Model #14031 an see how it goes.

Izidor
Hey Nagi, thank you very much for the instructive answer. Firstly, I'll try to check out the Model #14031 an see how it goes. Izidor

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.