Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

cantilever buckling simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all, I would like to do a cantilever buckling simulation. Let's assume the axial direction of the cantilever is x-axis. Do I need to give it a y-axis or z-axis perturbation for the buckling analysis? Thanks.
CMS

1 Reply Last Post 28 feb 2010, 07:26 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 feb 2010, 07:26 GMT-5
Hi
as stated in the doc (smeug.pdf), and how I understand it:

normal bucking is obtained from eigenvalue analysis, => for me this means that no lateral load is requird

if you want to check with nonlinear mode and and load the bar up to buckling, it is clear that adding a little transverse load does give an estimate of the precision of the analysis, as mostly this small load comes from mesh inhomogeneities and numerical "noise"

I use the second option often as a check by adding typically 1/1000 lateral load

Hope this helps
Ivar
Hi as stated in the doc (smeug.pdf), and how I understand it: normal bucking is obtained from eigenvalue analysis, => for me this means that no lateral load is requird if you want to check with nonlinear mode and and load the bar up to buckling, it is clear that adding a little transverse load does give an estimate of the precision of the analysis, as mostly this small load comes from mesh inhomogeneities and numerical "noise" I use the second option often as a check by adding typically 1/1000 lateral load Hope this helps Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.