Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Expanding boundary as a boundary condition (COMSOL 4.3)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am doing a flow modeling of the pulmonary system.

I want the driving component of my flow to be an expanding boundary outlet, an expanding volume

The inlet would then be a fixed pressure and the outlet be an expanding boundary, or a at a time varying pressure

The resulting pressure difference would then drive the flow.

Is there a way I can set a boundary condition as an expanding volume?
Or maybe the right way to do this is assigning a periodic pressure variation at the outlet and simply fixing the inlet pressure.

2 Replies Last Post 12 nov 2013, 16:45 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mar 2013, 01:00 GMT-5
Hi

I would say the "easiest" is to define a pressure at the outlet, and have an equation expressing this pressure depending on the net flow out, taking into account your initial volume and the elastic constant of your container. You would need to add a global equation for this "global" pout variable

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say the "easiest" is to define a pressure at the outlet, and have an equation expressing this pressure depending on the net flow out, taking into account your initial volume and the elastic constant of your container. You would need to add a global equation for this "global" pout variable -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 nov 2013, 16:45 GMT-5
Hello,

Did you ever figure out how to define a global function that calculates the time-integrated volumetric flux across an outlet boundary? I am trying to do the same thing, but can't figure out how to do the time integration of the out flux.

Thanks,
Helge
Hello, Did you ever figure out how to define a global function that calculates the time-integrated volumetric flux across an outlet boundary? I am trying to do the same thing, but can't figure out how to do the time integration of the out flux. Thanks, Helge

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.