Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error: 7161 The mass matrix is zero - resolve

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Respected sir/ma'am,

I am trying to simulate a Nano ElectroMechanical Switch(NEMS) using the following modules:a)solid, stress-strain, b) Moving Mesh, and c)Electrostatics.
When i run the solver, it shows an error message:'Error: 7161 The mass matrix is zero' along with a warning: 'Not all domains are meshed'.
The sizes are in nano domain. Model is attached for your kind reference.
For meshing i used Mapped Meshing to reduce number of elements.
I am using Version 3.5a on Pentium processor with 32 bit and 2 GB RAM.

Thank You in advance

2 Replies Last Post 16 mar 2014, 08:46 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Krishnachaitanya S

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 apr 2013, 16:49 GMT-4
Hello Krishnachaitanya

Don't leave the value of the "Electric Conductivity" as zero. Go to material section and edit the value for each material you have. Give it some small value at least 1. I'm sure it'll resolve your problem.

Have fun.
Hello Krishnachaitanya Don't leave the value of the "Electric Conductivity" as zero. Go to material section and edit the value for each material you have. Give it some small value at least 1. I'm sure it'll resolve your problem. Have fun.

Mohanraj Ramachandran

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 mar 2014, 08:46 GMT-4
Dear Sir,
Thank you in advance, Am simulating Thermoelectric generator using Seebeck effect by means of Weak contribution approach..

INPUT: temperature gradient between thermo couple (Temperature)
OUTPUT: voltage flow across thermo couple (Electric potential)

I rectified all my errors. I changed "materials density and poison ratio value.." also
but still it show "Error: the mass matrix is zero"

I have attached the error image here.. Please help me to overcome this error.

Dear Sir, Thank you in advance, Am simulating Thermoelectric generator using Seebeck effect by means of Weak contribution approach.. INPUT: temperature gradient between thermo couple (Temperature) OUTPUT: voltage flow across thermo couple (Electric potential) I rectified all my errors. I changed "materials density and poison ratio value.." also but still it show "Error: the mass matrix is zero" I have attached the error image here.. Please help me to overcome this error.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.