Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Temperature effect in Electrostatic module.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using Comsol ver 3.5a. Can anyone guide me that how could i observe the effect of temperature on capacitance value in Electrostatic module ? From where i can change/control the temperature in Electrostatic module ?

As i am working on 12 electrode capacitance sensor filled with oil and would like to observe the change in capacitance values based on temperature change.

Please guide me.

Thanks.

6 Replies Last Post 27 mar 2013, 16:17 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mar 2013, 04:39 GMT-4
Hi

but how is the temperature changing your capacitance ?
Through mechanical thermal expansion of the "solid" and or of dielectric changes in your oil ? And what else ?

Then use a oil with a dielectric constant depending explicitly on T (if you have this), and use "sold for the structure and change the temperature and reference temperature.

now how is your temperature evolving ? ...
Probably via conduction, perhaps also convection in the oil => need sole conjugated heat flow module to solve that, but perhaps also through electric conduction in the "sold => also joule heating Your model is becoming complex.

My advise: start simple consider one at the time, then start to couple ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but how is the temperature changing your capacitance ? Through mechanical thermal expansion of the "solid" and or of dielectric changes in your oil ? And what else ? Then use a oil with a dielectric constant depending explicitly on T (if you have this), and use "sold for the structure and change the temperature and reference temperature. now how is your temperature evolving ? ... Probably via conduction, perhaps also convection in the oil => need sole conjugated heat flow module to solve that, but perhaps also through electric conduction in the "sold => also joule heating Your model is becoming complex. My advise: start simple consider one at the time, then start to couple ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 mar 2013, 02:13 GMT-4

Hi

but how is the temperature changing your capacitance ?
Through mechanical thermal expansion of the "solid" and or of dielectric changes in your oil ? And what else ?

Then use a oil with a dielectric constant depending explicitly on T (if you have this), and use "sold for the structure and change the temperature and reference temperature.

now how is your temperature evolving ? ...
Probably via conduction, perhaps also convection in the oil => need sole conjugated heat flow module to solve that, but perhaps also through electric conduction in the "sold => also joule heating Your model is becoming complex.

My advise: start simple consider one at the time, then start to couple ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Mr. Ivar,

First of all thanks a lot for your meaningful reply. But actually I am designing an Electrical Capacitance Sensor for Electrical Capacitance Tomography (ECT) which has 12 electrodes mounted on its outer boundary of the pipe.

Typically an ECT measurement protocol excites one electrode in a rotational manner. When one electrode is energized with an electric potential the other electrodes (called detecting electrodes) are kept at ground potential. For e.g. i have 12 electrode sensor, when electrode 1 is energized with a known potential U1, the electrodes 2 to 12 are kept at 0V. This will be part of known boundary conditions when solving the domain equation and finding the potential distribution/electric field. Using the post-processing capabilities in COMSOL and calculate the charge resting on the detecting electrodes (electrode 2 to 12, when electrode 1 is energized with the predefined potential U1), yielding Q2 to Q12. Based on this the capacitance can be calculated using C12 = Q2/U1, C13 = Q3/U1, ...., C1,12 = Q12/U1.

But now I want to see if its possible to change the temperature in Electrostatic module as i am using the crude oil and want to see its behavior by simulation that how the value of capacitance be affected by change in temperature.
My background is mainly from Electrical and Electronic so i am unable to understand your last reply. Sorry for that.

Hope you understand my problem.

Thanking for your consideration.

Regards,
Areeba
[QUOTE] Hi but how is the temperature changing your capacitance ? Through mechanical thermal expansion of the "solid" and or of dielectric changes in your oil ? And what else ? Then use a oil with a dielectric constant depending explicitly on T (if you have this), and use "sold for the structure and change the temperature and reference temperature. now how is your temperature evolving ? ... Probably via conduction, perhaps also convection in the oil => need sole conjugated heat flow module to solve that, but perhaps also through electric conduction in the "sold => also joule heating Your model is becoming complex. My advise: start simple consider one at the time, then start to couple ;) -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi Mr. Ivar, First of all thanks a lot for your meaningful reply. But actually I am designing an Electrical Capacitance Sensor for Electrical Capacitance Tomography (ECT) which has 12 electrodes mounted on its outer boundary of the pipe. Typically an ECT measurement protocol excites one electrode in a rotational manner. When one electrode is energized with an electric potential the other electrodes (called detecting electrodes) are kept at ground potential. For e.g. i have 12 electrode sensor, when electrode 1 is energized with a known potential U1, the electrodes 2 to 12 are kept at 0V. This will be part of known boundary conditions when solving the domain equation and finding the potential distribution/electric field. Using the post-processing capabilities in COMSOL and calculate the charge resting on the detecting electrodes (electrode 2 to 12, when electrode 1 is energized with the predefined potential U1), yielding Q2 to Q12. Based on this the capacitance can be calculated using C12 = Q2/U1, C13 = Q3/U1, ...., C1,12 = Q12/U1. But now I want to see if its possible to change the temperature in Electrostatic module as i am using the crude oil and want to see its behavior by simulation that how the value of capacitance be affected by change in temperature. My background is mainly from Electrical and Electronic so i am unable to understand your last reply. Sorry for that. Hope you understand my problem. Thanking for your consideration. Regards, Areeba

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mar 2013, 00:20 GMT-4
Can anyone else reply me for my query !!

Can anyone else reply me for my query !!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mar 2013, 02:42 GMT-4
Hi

indeed it was not clear if your oil is "static" or had fluid motion, as now I understand it's a static fluid, isolating, hence no electric current flow, no Joule heating ,etc, indeed you do NOT need any conjugated heat flow model.

But I'm astonished: why you haven't told us what is changing your capacitance:
OK it's driven by the temperature of the oil, so for me that means the dielectric constant of the oil is changing with T.

Well if that is what you are looking for, you need to get the epsilon_r values for the oil for different T set up in a material interpolation function (or analytical one if you know that), depending on a variable T, and you define the variable T as a Parameter, and do a parametric study based on varying T from a Tmin to a Tmax (here T isaa scalar or a predefined field T(x,y,z,t)

or you get the value of the full field T (implicitly T(x,y,z,t)) defined by a HT in fluid via the solving of heat source, sink ... But heat flow through a fluid tends to induce buoyancy forces etc hence we are back to conjugated heat flow ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed it was not clear if your oil is "static" or had fluid motion, as now I understand it's a static fluid, isolating, hence no electric current flow, no Joule heating ,etc, indeed you do NOT need any conjugated heat flow model. But I'm astonished: why you haven't told us what is changing your capacitance: OK it's driven by the temperature of the oil, so for me that means the dielectric constant of the oil is changing with T. Well if that is what you are looking for, you need to get the epsilon_r values for the oil for different T set up in a material interpolation function (or analytical one if you know that), depending on a variable T, and you define the variable T as a Parameter, and do a parametric study based on varying T from a Tmin to a Tmax (here T isaa scalar or a predefined field T(x,y,z,t) or you get the value of the full field T (implicitly T(x,y,z,t)) defined by a HT in fluid via the solving of heat source, sink ... But heat flow through a fluid tends to induce buoyancy forces etc hence we are back to conjugated heat flow ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 mar 2013, 04:42 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes i have a static fluid and want to see that on change in temperature does the values of epsilon or Capacitance will be affected. As i mentioned in last post that I need to measure an inter electrode capacitance. So how or from which command in Comsol ver 3.5 we can do this change in temperature ? how we define Temp as a scalar or predefined field ?

Hi, Yes i have a static fluid and want to see that on change in temperature does the values of epsilon or Capacitance will be affected. As i mentioned in last post that I need to measure an inter electrode capacitance. So how or from which command in Comsol ver 3.5 we can do this change in temperature ? how we define Temp as a scalar or predefined field ?

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 mar 2013, 16:17 GMT-4
Hi

You can define T as a scalar (parameter) or as a variable from an interpolation function, and there you can map to a filed of (x,y,z,t). But to see any changes, you need to male epsilon_r depend on T too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You can define T as a scalar (parameter) or as a variable from an interpolation function, and there you can map to a filed of (x,y,z,t). But to see any changes, you need to male epsilon_r depend on T too -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.