Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Effect of prestress on eigenfrequency

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model the effect of the prestress on eigenfrequency of a vibrating string (clamped at both end with a prestress)
The problem is that I am using 3.4 here. Would you please let me know how to load a static analysis result into a eigenfrequency analysis?
What should I do to introduce stress to the material?
Should I use matlab to load the prestress?
Is there a simple way to do that?
Is there simply a way to do it?

I am not able to find good exemples corresponding to that problem with my COMSOL version (3.4).

What should I do to introduce stress into the material?

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 12 apr 2013, 05:52 GMT-4
Eric Favre COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 apr 2013, 05:52 GMT-4
I know it does not answer your question since you require the use of an pretty old version (dated from 2007). Just allow me to give a comment.

The current way of doing is desribed here (for instance) :
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/10314/ (bracket eigenfrequency).
More examples are available with the MEMS module where this is of great importance.

This is not completely trivial since you need to integrate the prestress to the computation. Procedure has been made easy since your release.

Good luck,
Eric Favre,
COMSOL France

I know it does not answer your question since you require the use of an pretty old version (dated from 2007). Just allow me to give a comment. The current way of doing is desribed here (for instance) : http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/10314/ (bracket eigenfrequency). More examples are available with the MEMS module where this is of great importance. This is not completely trivial since you need to integrate the prestress to the computation. Procedure has been made easy since your release. Good luck, Eric Favre, COMSOL France

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.