Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

residual stress from laser heating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am trying to determine residual stress on a metallic ribbon (28 micron) because of laser heating. The heat source is a continuous wave laser having gaussian profile. I have already got spatial and temporal temperature distribution from "heat transfer in solid" model in comsol 4.2. But I do not know how to get residual stress. Can anyone help me on this topic? thank you

--
Farhad

2 Replies Last Post 29 mar 2013, 12:29 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mar 2013, 02:54 GMT-4
Check this url here you can find.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23471140
I am not sure but hope you can find the solution of this problem from here.
Check this url here you can find. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23471140 I am not sure but hope you can find the solution of this problem from here.

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 mar 2013, 12:29 GMT-4
Hy

Thanks for the url. I have read the paper. It apprears that they used X-ray Diffraction to find out residual stress. But my material is non-crystalline (amorphous), so I cannot do the same. I have the plastic deformation data. Is there any model/theory which relates plastic deformation with residual stress? Thank you

--
Farhad
Hy Thanks for the url. I have read the paper. It apprears that they used X-ray Diffraction to find out residual stress. But my material is non-crystalline (amorphous), so I cannot do the same. I have the plastic deformation data. Is there any model/theory which relates plastic deformation with residual stress? Thank you -- Farhad

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.