Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

failed to generate mesh for face

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,
i imported a solid geometry to comsol, but when i generate mesh i get error: failed to generate mesh for face, i tried to make custom mesh for these faces, but did not solve the problem. can anyone tell me how to solve that, please help me.

5 Replies Last Post 1 apr 2013, 14:29 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 mar 2013, 03:19 GMT-4
Hi

there is no "one " way, often by manually meshing in a different order, adapting locally the size and density ... it will solve.

in anycase be sure you supress all small "features" that will not affect your model already in the CAD software, you will gain time during solving

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there is no "one " way, often by manually meshing in a different order, adapting locally the size and density ... it will solve. in anycase be sure you supress all small "features" that will not affect your model already in the CAD software, you will gain time during solving -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 mar 2013, 19:06 GMT-4
Hello Ivar,

thanks, i made the mesh manually, and it was solved

thanks a lot

Hello Ivar, thanks, i made the mesh manually, and it was solved thanks a lot

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 mar 2013, 04:04 GMT-4
Hi

good to hear, but still I suspect you had some very small features , probably from some roundoffs, that could im my understanding be supresed, and hence generate a smaller mesh and solve quicker ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi good to hear, but still I suspect you had some very small features , probably from some roundoffs, that could im my understanding be supresed, and hence generate a smaller mesh and solve quicker ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 mar 2013, 21:15 GMT-4
hello Ivar,
thanks for your help

i would like to ask you about CAD import, the cad file i want to import to comsol when i save it as stp the solid component converted to surfaces, so how can i import it as (.dwg) to comsol or tell me any other file extensions that the solid components don't converted.

thanks
hello Ivar, thanks for your help i would like to ask you about CAD import, the cad file i want to import to comsol when i save it as stp the solid component converted to surfaces, so how can i import it as (.dwg) to comsol or tell me any other file extensions that the solid components don't converted. thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 apr 2013, 14:29 GMT-4
Hi

notmally you import STEP files into 3D and DGW into 2D or workplanes in 3D, I have never realy tried out STEP surfaces into 2D, perhaps it works

What I often do is to add some workplanes with surfaces in 3D to cut my imported volumes to improve meshing or for easier analysis aspects

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi notmally you import STEP files into 3D and DGW into 2D or workplanes in 3D, I have never realy tried out STEP surfaces into 2D, perhaps it works What I often do is to add some workplanes with surfaces in 3D to cut my imported volumes to improve meshing or for easier analysis aspects -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.