Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spiral 3D inductor Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello
I am trying to simulate a 3D spiral inductor, but I cannot find the right geometric shapes given in Comsol 4.3a to build this coil. I have attached an image of the intended coil I want to build
I have tried using Helix but the geometry is completely different from the spiral inductor.
Any thoughts that how I can simulate it or I have to import it using some other software. Suggestions and advices are welcomed

5 Replies Last Post 7 giu 2016, 10:05 GMT-4
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 apr 2013, 09:40 GMT-4
Khalid,

Have you considered defining parametric curves? Right-click on Geometry 1 and select Parametric Curve. Then, in the edit field you can define expressions for your x and y coordinates based on a parameter s. You will need to know/develop the mathematical equation for the spiral edges in this case. Then, you can use Bezier Polygon line segments to connect the ends. And, then use a Conver to Solid operation to convert the edges into a solid body.

There may be a simpler way to do this, but this is the first that comes to mind.

Regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Khalid, Have you considered defining parametric curves? Right-click on Geometry 1 and select Parametric Curve. Then, in the edit field you can define expressions for your x and y coordinates based on a parameter s. You will need to know/develop the mathematical equation for the spiral edges in this case. Then, you can use Bezier Polygon line segments to connect the ends. And, then use a Conver to Solid operation to convert the edges into a solid body. There may be a simpler way to do this, but this is the first that comes to mind. Regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 apr 2013, 09:53 GMT-4
Khalid,

is this similar to what you need?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Khalid, is this similar to what you need? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 apr 2013, 04:58 GMT-4

Khalid,

is this similar to what you need?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com

Yes its quite the same, except the number of turns are higher than this.

Regards
Khalid Hameed
[QUOTE] Khalid, is this similar to what you need? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com [/QUOTE] Yes its quite the same, except the number of turns are higher than this. Regards Khalid Hameed

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 apr 2013, 05:25 GMT-4

Khalid,

Have you considered defining parametric curves? Right-click on Geometry 1 and select Parametric Curve. Then, in the edit field you can define expressions for your x and y coordinates based on a parameter s. You will need to know/develop the mathematical equation for the spiral edges in this case. Then, you can use Bezier Polygon line segments to connect the ends. And, then use a Conver to Solid operation to convert the edges into a solid body.

There may be a simpler way to do this, but this is the first that comes to mind.

Regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies

I have tried using archimedes spiral but that is different in geometry, in addition the equation given in most places are for 2D. I am trying to work on equation to get the geometry
[QUOTE] Khalid, Have you considered defining parametric curves? Right-click on Geometry 1 and select Parametric Curve. Then, in the edit field you can define expressions for your x and y coordinates based on a parameter s. You will need to know/develop the mathematical equation for the spiral edges in this case. Then, you can use Bezier Polygon line segments to connect the ends. And, then use a Conver to Solid operation to convert the edges into a solid body. There may be a simpler way to do this, but this is the first that comes to mind. Regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies [/QUOTE] I have tried using archimedes spiral but that is different in geometry, in addition the equation given in most places are for 2D. I am trying to work on equation to get the geometry

Posted: 8 years ago 7 giu 2016, 10:05 GMT-4
Wow,it dose help for me , thank you for your sharing. Best wishes!
Wow,it dose help for me , thank you for your sharing. Best wishes!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.