Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange results when combining Induction Heating and Laminar Flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm working on an inductor model in induction heating with cooling via laminar flow. I have tried exciting the inductor in two ways: via Lumped ports and Surface currents. The cooling is room-temperature air (20 degC) with an air velocity of 1 m/s. The box that confines the inductor is 0.75 x 0.75 x 0.75 m³

For the Lumped port case without cooling I get a maximum temperature of 900 degC. With cooling the result is 888 degC which I find is logical. Both cases are excited with the same voltage.

For the Surface current case without any cooling I get a max temp of 883 degC (SC_no_cooling.mph attached below). After that i implement the cooling in exactly the same way as for the lumped port case, but now the temperature RISES to 910 degC (SC_1.mph).

I also tried a different way of doing the multiphysics coupling by implementing "Heat transfer in fluids", and the results I get is a max temp of only 92 degC (SC_2.mph). All three models have the same surface current excitation.

My question now is, is any of the Surface Current models with the cooling realistic? If no, how can I improve the results? My opinion is that they aren't realistic at all but I would still like for them to work although my models with the Lumped ports are working.

Best regards
Bilal

0 Replies Last Post 9 apr 2013, 07:39 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bilal Butt

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.