Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finalizing a geometry and boolean operations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a fairly basic question. After creating a geometry, what is benefit of forming an Union or an Assembly? I have been solving some preliminary models without forming an union/assembly. I have looked at the documentation to understand the purpose behind the union operation, but couldn't find any satisfactory explanation.

Thanks in advance,
Kaushik

1 Reply Last Post 25 apr 2013, 03:06 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 apr 2013, 03:06 GMT-4
Hi

check the forum it has been discussed several times.

My way is "use the defaults" in this case Union which means that all domains having adjacent boundaries have single adjacent boundaries, and COMSOl assumes flux conservation across the boundaries. this, I would say is typically the default for 80-90% of all models

Assembly, means you need to knit all adjacent boundaries together, and that you must copy mesh densities on adjacent, overlapping boundaries

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the forum it has been discussed several times. My way is "use the defaults" in this case Union which means that all domains having adjacent boundaries have single adjacent boundaries, and COMSOl assumes flux conservation across the boundaries. this, I would say is typically the default for 80-90% of all models Assembly, means you need to knit all adjacent boundaries together, and that you must copy mesh densities on adjacent, overlapping boundaries -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.