Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

applying a periodic biphasic square waveform to a surface electrode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear friends,

I want to apply an AC voltage/Current to a surface electrode placed on the human skin. I need a periodic waveform with unequal on and off time. How can I apply this stimulation pulse to a surface electrode at specific frequency?(I built the desired waveform from Definition node-> Function-> Piecewise, and set the electrode voltage from Electric Potential at 5V but when I change the duration of the pulse nothing changes. Is it correct way to apply desired waveform to an electrode?)

Please help me to solve this problem.

Best regards,

2 Replies Last Post 4 mag 2013, 07:14 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 mag 2013, 16:19 GMT-4
Hi

you probably need to use the time series and run a transient analysis, with a function describing your pulse (either an analytical one, or a combination of step() operators etc.)
In transient pls be aware that you need good initial conditions to avoid turn on spikes and their ringing, and that you should use a time stepping definition that have a few points during rise and fall time periods of your pulse. And then dig your way down in the solver nodes and set the time stepping to "intermediate" or "strict", and do not leave the default "free" as this will most probably skip rapidly your periodic BC conditions

Another way would be to run a frequency sweep, and then add up enough frequency components to give your special pulse. You can get offsets normally by using the special frequency stationary or frequency transient solver options (if these are available for your physics)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you probably need to use the time series and run a transient analysis, with a function describing your pulse (either an analytical one, or a combination of step() operators etc.) In transient pls be aware that you need good initial conditions to avoid turn on spikes and their ringing, and that you should use a time stepping definition that have a few points during rise and fall time periods of your pulse. And then dig your way down in the solver nodes and set the time stepping to "intermediate" or "strict", and do not leave the default "free" as this will most probably skip rapidly your periodic BC conditions Another way would be to run a frequency sweep, and then add up enough frequency components to give your special pulse. You can get offsets normally by using the special frequency stationary or frequency transient solver options (if these are available for your physics) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 mag 2013, 07:14 GMT-4
Thank you for your reply.

You were right, I selected the time steps too large compared with pulse duration.

In my model there are different layers as different tissues and two surface electrodes place on the tissue. Could I ask you to explain more about the required boundary condition for this simulation (I mean between two layers)?

The best,
Thank you for your reply. You were right, I selected the time steps too large compared with pulse duration. In my model there are different layers as different tissues and two surface electrodes place on the tissue. Could I ask you to explain more about the required boundary condition for this simulation (I mean between two layers)? The best,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.