Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

some basic questions about BCs and pressure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear sir or madam,

I am making models about laminar flow and thin-film flow. I saw the velocity boundary condition
in thin-film flow is called "normal inflow velocity". What is the difference between "normal inflow velocity"
in thin-film flow physics and the "velocity" in laminar flow physics?

By the way, in model inputs, I saw two options to set the absolute pressure: user defined PA and PA=P+Pref.
Can I get the same results if I set PA =1[atm] in the first option and Pref=1[atm] in the second one?

Thank you very much.
Best wishes

1 Reply Last Post 7 nov 2014, 13:24 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Leilei Hu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 7 nov 2014, 13:24 GMT-5
Regarding the setting for "Absolute pressure" (e.g. under "Fluid Properties" node):
(1) To model an incompressible fluid, set "Absolute pressure," pA, to "User defined" and enter the desired pressure value in the edit field. The default value is 1[atm]. In this case, any pressure-dependent material properties in the model will be evaluated using pA = user-defined value.
(2) To model flow with small pressure change, the variable "p" in the flow calculation will represent the gauge pressure. Set "Absolute pressure" to "Pressure" and enable check box "Reference pressure". Absolute pressure, equal to pA=p + p_ref, will be used to calculate pressure-dependent material properties.
(3) If you want pressure "p" in flow calculation to represent absolute pressure, then clear the check box "Reference pressure." In this case, absolute pressure will be equal to pA = p, and again pA will be used to calculate pressure-dependent material properties.
-DW
Regarding the setting for "Absolute pressure" (e.g. under "Fluid Properties" node): (1) To model an incompressible fluid, set "Absolute pressure," pA, to "User defined" and enter the desired pressure value in the edit field. The default value is 1[atm]. In this case, any pressure-dependent material properties in the model will be evaluated using pA = user-defined value. (2) To model flow with small pressure change, the variable "p" in the flow calculation will represent the gauge pressure. Set "Absolute pressure" to "Pressure" and enable check box "Reference pressure". Absolute pressure, equal to pA=p + p_ref, will be used to calculate pressure-dependent material properties. (3) If you want pressure "p" in flow calculation to represent absolute pressure, then clear the check box "Reference pressure." In this case, absolute pressure will be equal to pA = p, and again pA will be used to calculate pressure-dependent material properties. -DW

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.