Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help for a better 3D mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! I am a beginner in COMSOL and i need some help with a 3 D mesh!

In my model i have to focus on the cylinders and around them.

So i need finer mesh for this area but coarser mesh for the rest in order to have less elements.

Furthermore i try to have element quality bigger than 0.3.

I do appreciate any suggestions to fix my mesh!

Thank you for your help !

3 Replies Last Post 28 mag 2013, 12:26 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mag 2013, 12:40 GMT-4
Hi,

could you attach the file *.mph of your model? I can't open your file.
As first advice, I suggest you to use in the mesh that you have created, the size tool, that can be used also for points, edges and boundaries (I don't know if you are aware or not of this tool). In this way, you can set a finer mesh around these features, and coarser elsewhere.

Regards

Fabio
Hi, could you attach the file *.mph of your model? I can't open your file. As first advice, I suggest you to use in the mesh that you have created, the size tool, that can be used also for points, edges and boundaries (I don't know if you are aware or not of this tool). In this way, you can set a finer mesh around these features, and coarser elsewhere. Regards Fabio

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mag 2013, 13:16 GMT-4
I hope to help me with your advice to make a better mesh for my model .

Thanks for reading my message!
I hope to help me with your advice to make a better mesh for my model . Thanks for reading my message!

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 mag 2013, 12:26 GMT-4
Hi,

In broad lines, you can use a mapped mesh and a swept function over the all blocks, since you have prismatic solids. On the other hand, you need tetrahedral mesh on the cylinders. Use the function "convert" when a tetrahedral mesh "meets" an hexahedral mesh.
Of course, you have to refine your mesh where needed, so it depends not only of the physics but also of the constraints, loads, and all the "actions" applied on your geometry.

I use the 4.3b, I don't know if it's ok for you, sorry I don't have the 4.0a anymore

Regards
Hi, In broad lines, you can use a mapped mesh and a swept function over the all blocks, since you have prismatic solids. On the other hand, you need tetrahedral mesh on the cylinders. Use the function "convert" when a tetrahedral mesh "meets" an hexahedral mesh. Of course, you have to refine your mesh where needed, so it depends not only of the physics but also of the constraints, loads, and all the "actions" applied on your geometry. I use the 4.3b, I don't know if it's ok for you, sorry I don't have the 4.0a anymore Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.