Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contact penetration

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I have a contact model and there are two domains that one moves with a prescribed displacement and presses down the other one.

I have a contact pairs, but the results seems like one domain penetrates the other one.

I have played with penalty factor but got the same results.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I attached the file.

Thanks,

Jay

3 Replies Last Post 11 set 2016, 09:39 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mag 2013, 23:46 GMT-4
I changed pairs to contact pair, but still have penetration.

COMSOL document says

"A contact pair is a pair that define boundaries where the parts may come into contact but cannot penetrate each other under deformation for modeling of structural contact and multiphysics contact."

But there is penetration.

May be it is just because visualize problem, but it looks like two domains penetrate each other.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jay
I changed pairs to contact pair, but still have penetration. COMSOL document says "A contact pair is a pair that define boundaries where the parts may come into contact but cannot penetrate each other under deformation for modeling of structural contact and multiphysics contact." But there is penetration. May be it is just because visualize problem, but it looks like two domains penetrate each other. Any help will be appreciated. Jay

Posted: 8 years ago 10 set 2016, 22:38 GMT-4
Did anyone have solve this kind of problem? It will be great if you can share your experience for this problem.
Did anyone have solve this kind of problem? It will be great if you can share your experience for this problem.

Posted: 8 years ago 11 set 2016, 09:39 GMT-4
I stopped using the Comsol contact pair model and instead defined my own boundary force due to problems with convergence. For example the contact pair model is very sensitive to meshing. But in my case one of the two contact surfaces was a static, stiff, perfect plane so defining the force equation was trivial. But this is an option to consider. I didn't look at your file.
I stopped using the Comsol contact pair model and instead defined my own boundary force due to problems with convergence. For example the contact pair model is very sensitive to meshing. But in my case one of the two contact surfaces was a static, stiff, perfect plane so defining the force equation was trivial. But this is an option to consider. I didn't look at your file.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.