Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Phase angle for piezoelectric

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,
I'm trying to find the impedance phase angle for a PZT-5H piezoelectric frequency domain simulation, but can only find the magnitude. I'm assuming that you need to enter in the tan (delta) and Qm values, but can't find where these should be included. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

PG

6 Replies Last Post 22 nov 2016, 11:14 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 giu 2013, 17:39 GMT-4

Hi,

all quantities in COMSOL can be complex numbers. Use the real() and imag() operators to obtain the complex components and calculate the phase.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi, all quantities in COMSOL can be complex numbers. Use the real() and imag() operators to obtain the complex components and calculate the phase. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 8 years ago 21 nov 2016, 08:13 GMT-5
Hello,

I have the same problem, and I do not understand where to use the operators.

This is how I proceed. I modeled a piezoelectric bar made of PZT-5H. On one side I apply a ground, and on the other a potential. To calculate the impedance, I use a boundary probe which measures the current density on the same side I apply a potential.

Problem is that the probe only gives me real value. I tried to find a way to have the phase with the probe but do not find how...

Thibaut
Hello, I have the same problem, and I do not understand where to use the operators. This is how I proceed. I modeled a piezoelectric bar made of PZT-5H. On one side I apply a ground, and on the other a potential. To calculate the impedance, I use a boundary probe which measures the current density on the same side I apply a potential. Problem is that the probe only gives me real value. I tried to find a way to have the phase with the probe but do not find how... Thibaut

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 21 nov 2016, 18:06 GMT-5
If you integrate the normal component of the electric displacement vector on the electrode surface you will get the charge on the electrode. Then the (complex) current is j*omega*charge.

D.W. Greve
DWGreve Consulting
If you integrate the normal component of the electric displacement vector on the electrode surface you will get the charge on the electrode. Then the (complex) current is j*omega*charge. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

Posted: 8 years ago 22 nov 2016, 04:39 GMT-5
Hi,

I tried this, but this gives me a constant phase of pi/2 over all my frequency range. There are resonances so it should not stay constant.

Just to be sure I do it correctly. I perform a sweep over the frequency range of interest, in a Frequency Domain study. Then, after getting the charge, I multiply every point of my charge vector by the corresponding j*w. Is this right ?

I attach my model, to make sure there is no mistake.

Thibaut
Hi, I tried this, but this gives me a constant phase of pi/2 over all my frequency range. There are resonances so it should not stay constant. Just to be sure I do it correctly. I perform a sweep over the frequency range of interest, in a Frequency Domain study. Then, after getting the charge, I multiply every point of my charge vector by the corresponding j*w. Is this right ? I attach my model, to make sure there is no mistake. Thibaut

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 22 nov 2016, 10:18 GMT-5
This does not open properly for me, perhaps because I do not have the CAD import installed right now.

But. Under "derived values" you should calculate a surface average of the normal electric displacement vector. Forget the boundary probe.

And there is an important difference between the norm (or magnitude) of the electric displacement vector (which, by definition, is purely real) and the normal component of the electric displacement on a surface (which will indeed be complex).
This does not open properly for me, perhaps because I do not have the CAD import installed right now. But. Under "derived values" you should calculate a surface average of the normal electric displacement vector. Forget the boundary probe. And there is an important difference between the norm (or magnitude) of the electric displacement vector (which, by definition, is purely real) and the normal component of the electric displacement on a surface (which will indeed be complex).

Posted: 8 years ago 22 nov 2016, 11:14 GMT-5
Hi D,

Ok, it seems to work now (either with a probe or with a Surface Average), thank you !
I now have a constant phase shift between the simulation and my measurements, but it may come from the measurement.

Anyway, thank you a lot !

Thibaut
Hi D, Ok, it seems to work now (either with a probe or with a Surface Average), thank you ! I now have a constant phase shift between the simulation and my measurements, but it may come from the measurement. Anyway, thank you a lot ! Thibaut

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.