Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Integration coubling variable" -> from 3.5 to 4.0 or later

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In COMSOL 3.5 or earlier, for "Integration coubling variable", one could go to

option -> Integration coubling variable -> subdomain/boundary/ point variable.

Can anyone tell me how can I do it in COMSOL 4.0 or later for say, boundary variable. like, If I want to integrate temperature/temperature gradient along a boundary, how can I do it. I an kind of confused.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 1 ott 2013, 08:04 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Muhammad Noman Hasan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 ott 2013, 07:36 GMT-4
Hi there,

This was confusing to me as well, you may have already found this out but incase anyone else is confused: you measure variables by 'probes' in 4.0, you can choose subdomain/boundary/edge probes and select your desired variable (though some of the variables have changed from 3.5a, so I'd check which ones you're using).
Hi there, This was confusing to me as well, you may have already found this out but incase anyone else is confused: you measure variables by 'probes' in 4.0, you can choose subdomain/boundary/edge probes and select your desired variable (though some of the variables have changed from 3.5a, so I'd check which ones you're using).

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 ott 2013, 08:04 GMT-4
Probes do not serve quite the same purposes as integration coupling variables. If you need to refer to the integral inside your model's equations (as opposed to solely for solution monitoring / post-processing) you will need to use integration model couplings. They can be found in the Model Builder under Model> Definitions> Functions > Model Couplings >Integration. Integration model couplings are similar to integration coupling variables (pre-4.0) but they more flexible because they are operators that can be called to operate on different arguments.

More information on Probes: see Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 324 and following
More information on Model Couplings: see Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 283 and following

Jeff
Probes do not serve quite the same purposes as integration coupling variables. If you need to refer to the integral inside your model's equations (as opposed to solely for solution monitoring / post-processing) you will need to use integration model couplings. They can be found in the Model Builder under Model> Definitions> Functions > Model Couplings >Integration. Integration model couplings are similar to integration coupling variables (pre-4.0) but they more flexible because they are operators that can be called to operate on different arguments. More information on Probes: see Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 324 and following More information on Model Couplings: see Reference Manual, version 4.3b, page 283 and following Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.