Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling Surface Plasmon Resonance on Nanorods

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I am trying to model single gold nanorods of different size and shape extruding out of a thin gold layer with visible wavelength light incident upon it. The aim of this is to see how the geometry and wavelength affects the the surface plasmon resonance created. Could anyone please give me an idea where to start or point me towards any similar work / useful tutorials? Im new to Comsol so as detailed as possible would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Josh

2 Replies Last Post 24 lug 2013, 11:55 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 lug 2013, 08:46 GMT-4
Hi Josh,

You can find RF tutorials on youtube that will give you a nice start.
I don't know if I can post the links here so just look for:
"Comsol 4.2 Tutorial for beginners"
or
"(01) Simple Dipole Step by Step - COMSOL 4.2 Tutorial"

Then just follow the list of videos.

Cheers,

Etai
Hi Josh, You can find RF tutorials on youtube that will give you a nice start. I don't know if I can post the links here so just look for: "Comsol 4.2 Tutorial for beginners" or "(01) Simple Dipole Step by Step - COMSOL 4.2 Tutorial" Then just follow the list of videos. Cheers, Etai

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 lug 2013, 11:55 GMT-4
Hi Etai.

Thanks for your help. I've followed the Comsol 4.2 Tutorial for beginners and it all seemed to work. Do you now know how to go about calculating the absorption and scattering cross sections from this model? I've tried to follow the scatterer on substrate model but it is quite different from this as it uses ports and Poynting vectors. Also the optical scattering off a gold nanosphere model doesnt show you how to calculate the cross sections directly. Ideally I want to be able to create a plot of wavelength vs extinction cross section.

Thanks for your help with this.
Hi Etai. Thanks for your help. I've followed the Comsol 4.2 Tutorial for beginners and it all seemed to work. Do you now know how to go about calculating the absorption and scattering cross sections from this model? I've tried to follow the scatterer on substrate model but it is quite different from this as it uses ports and Poynting vectors. Also the optical scattering off a gold nanosphere model doesnt show you how to calculate the cross sections directly. Ideally I want to be able to create a plot of wavelength vs extinction cross section. Thanks for your help with this.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.