Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Different current at two ports

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating a device in electrical currents model, and find the currents in the only two port are not the same.
And what is more, the current in the electrode with higher voltage is confusing. I do not know what is wrong with my model. Is it because I am using the wrong model?

Thank you very much.

5 Replies Last Post 22 lug 2013, 09:59 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 lug 2013, 14:49 GMT-4
Hello everyone,

I have tried these for some time, then I find that if I change the boundary condition of the input port from 5V to 2e-10A, The result is better and the input voltage is about 4.8V.
I just do not know if there are any difference between these two conditions since the voltage is very same but the result looks different. I am really confusing about these two kind of conditions.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ruochen
Hello everyone, I have tried these for some time, then I find that if I change the boundary condition of the input port from 5V to 2e-10A, The result is better and the input voltage is about 4.8V. I just do not know if there are any difference between these two conditions since the voltage is very same but the result looks different. I am really confusing about these two kind of conditions. Thanks in advance. Regards, Ruochen

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 lug 2013, 15:04 GMT-4
I finally find out what happened.
These conditions can get two result, a good one and a bad one. After I solve the answer to the voltage one on the base of the current one, the problem solved.

Thanks for some discussion in this forum I just read, I cannot remember the exact page. Thanks a lot.
I finally find out what happened. These conditions can get two result, a good one and a bad one. After I solve the answer to the voltage one on the base of the current one, the problem solved. Thanks for some discussion in this forum I just read, I cannot remember the exact page. Thanks a lot.

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 lug 2013, 15:12 GMT-4
And one more physics question, is it any chance that the input and output current are different? Then where does these current go?
And one more physics question, is it any chance that the input and output current are different? Then where does these current go?

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 lug 2013, 09:25 GMT-4
Hello Ruochen,

no offense, but I really think if you ask that question about electric currents, you better should delay the simulation work and repeat some studies of electromagnetics/electrical engineering instead.

Regarding the different currents at the two terminals: this is a normal inaccuracy of the finite element method, check www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/973/ for a dicussion of the matter. In general, if you refine the mesh at the respective boundaries, the error should decrease.

Bye
Eric
Hello Ruochen, no offense, but I really think if you ask that question about electric currents, you better should delay the simulation work and repeat some studies of electromagnetics/electrical engineering instead. Regarding the different currents at the two terminals: this is a normal inaccuracy of the finite element method, check http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/973/ for a dicussion of the matter. In general, if you refine the mesh at the respective boundaries, the error should decrease. Bye Eric

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 lug 2013, 09:59 GMT-4
Hello Eric,

Thank you very much! I have fixed this problem by changing the mesh. And you are right. I should think more about this device. ^_^

Regards,
Ruochen
Hello Eric, Thank you very much! I have fixed this problem by changing the mesh. And you are right. I should think more about this device. ^_^ Regards, Ruochen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.