Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

horizontal stress only shows in the top layer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi

i'm simulating a road using the elastic model. the road has 3 layers (asphalt, foundation, soil) with different moduli. when I apply the loads of the wheels, I can clearly see how the vertical stress continues down the different layers. the horizontal stress however is only shown in the asphalt layer. the load should cause horizontal stress in all layers of the road and it shouldn't cut of between the asphalt and the foundation.

do I have to connect the layers in the geometry or select which layers comsol calculates for or something else?

image of the horizontal stress
i.imgur.com/7XEeu0y.png

thanks
Raf Steensels

2 Replies Last Post 18 ago 2013, 13:32 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 ago 2013, 06:59 GMT-4
Hi,

Since the vertical stress is shown in all layers, there should not be any problem with the connectivity of your model. Is it so that the the foundation has a much lower modulus of elasticity than the asphalt? If so, the horizontal stresses should be proportionally smaller. Try setting the scaling of the contours manually to check if the stresses in the foundation are not resolved by the colors.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Since the vertical stress is shown in all layers, there should not be any problem with the connectivity of your model. Is it so that the the foundation has a much lower modulus of elasticity than the asphalt? If so, the horizontal stresses should be proportionally smaller. Try setting the scaling of the contours manually to check if the stresses in the foundation are not resolved by the colors. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 ago 2013, 13:32 GMT-4
hello,

thank you so much!
I can't believe I misscounted a zero when inputting the elastic moduli. I'm embarrassed by the time I have invested trying to find a solution. I really appreciate your help.

thank you.
Raf Steensels
hello, thank you so much! I can't believe I misscounted a zero when inputting the elastic moduli. I'm embarrassed by the time I have invested trying to find a solution. I really appreciate your help. thank you. Raf Steensels

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.