Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

out of memory during assembly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am running a heat transfer with radiation, and the error message says "out of memory during assembly". Rigth now, I am using a workstation with 48GB memory. I check the element number, and it has around 420K tetrahedral elements. Is this too large for my case? I used some other CFD software. Sometimes, I can handle the case with 7~8 million elements in a workstation.

The other quesiton is, when the case is running, there are two numbers to the memory in the right corner of GUI. Please refer to the picture attached. What is the meaning of them?

Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post 11 set 2013, 18:24 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 ago 2013, 05:25 GMT-4

The two number are current memory use and estimate of the memory requirement at the end of the current processing step. I am using that to stop a calculation if I see it will not fit in my available memory.

Cheers
Edgar
--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
The two number are current memory use and estimate of the memory requirement at the end of the current processing step. I am using that to stop a calculation if I see it will not fit in my available memory. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 set 2013, 18:24 GMT-4
Hi!

420k tetrahedral elements but what order? first-order?
default setting for comsol is second-order elements ('quadratic' under discretization tab)
from my experience if you change from second-order to first-order elements number of DOF will drasticly reduce which means that time to get results will be much shorter.
You need to remember that first-order elements produce results of lower quality.

p.s. in my opinion better is to use "DOF" to determine size of mesh
Hi! 420k tetrahedral elements but what order? first-order? default setting for comsol is second-order elements ('quadratic' under discretization tab) from my experience if you change from second-order to first-order elements number of DOF will drasticly reduce which means that time to get results will be much shorter. You need to remember that first-order elements produce results of lower quality. p.s. in my opinion better is to use "DOF" to determine size of mesh

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.