Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

why COMSOL is solving so slowly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am running a case with radiation heat transfer. The 3D geometry is quite simple. Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 56826 (plus 39748 internal DOFs), and element number is around 24K. I use the segragated solver.

And I found that: the time for assembly in each step is around 15 minutes, and memory usage seems OK, around 8GB.

I wonder whether this calculation speed is normal or not.

Thanks.

5 Replies Last Post 6 set 2013, 02:54 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 set 2013, 01:50 GMT-4
It does not sound normal, neither the use of 8GB of memory. Are you solving a steady-state or a time-dependent problem?
It does not sound normal, neither the use of 8GB of memory. Are you solving a steady-state or a time-dependent problem?

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 set 2013, 22:22 GMT-4
Hi Lasse, it is a steady-state case.

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 set 2013, 03:03 GMT-4

What kind of hardware you have?
[QUOTE] Hi Lasse, it is a steady-state case. [/QUOTE] What kind of hardware you have?

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 set 2013, 23:31 GMT-4
I am using a Dell workstation with 48GB memory.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 set 2013, 02:54 GMT-4

OK, you must have a problem in the model, I presume. I am not working myself on this topic, but try to find out a same kind model, and solve that for comparison.
[QUOTE] I am using a Dell workstation with 48GB memory. [/QUOTE] OK, you must have a problem in the model, I presume. I am not working myself on this topic, but try to find out a same kind model, and solve that for comparison.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.