Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary conditions on internal boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody!

I have a problem applying boundary conditions to internal boundaries.

My model is a simple block and I drew a smaller rectangle on one of the faces (i.e. an internal boundary, see file attached).
With this configuration I am able to apply the the "Boundary heat source" and the "Highly conductive layer" conditions to this interior boundary, so no problem.

Problems start when I add an additional entity to the model and form an Assembly (not an union). I am then not anymore able to set these boundary conditions ("not applicable") and I don't understand why.

I suspect it has something to do with the assembly, but I am struggling with this for a while.
Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Julien

1 Reply Last Post 12 set 2013, 17:12 GMT-4
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 set 2013, 17:12 GMT-4
Dear Julien,

can you explain what woiuld be the necessity to use assembly in the situation of this model?
Assembly does not create any internal boundaries, all objects are siolated unless they are mated
using the pair conditions.

If this explanation does not help, send the mph file so we can help.

Sven Friedel
Dear Julien, can you explain what woiuld be the necessity to use assembly in the situation of this model? Assembly does not create any internal boundaries, all objects are siolated unless they are mated using the pair conditions. If this explanation does not help, send the mph file so we can help. Sven Friedel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.