Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

about current density in coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

excuse me

i have a problem about the current density in coil .

I am using the sample "indutiv heating.mph" now, and I changed the current in the coil to 3500A, and changed the coil 's cross surface to rectangle, the frequency is 40kHz. the coil is single turn coil, but in the result, i use surface integration to see the current in the coil, it showed the current is 7700A, but if I use multe turn coil do the calculation (and set the number of turns is 1), the result showed the current is 3500A. I used 2D-axisymmetric.

Can anyone tell me the reason of this different, and which one is right? thank you.

sorry for poor English.

1 Reply Last Post 21 set 2013, 16:58 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 set 2013, 16:58 GMT-4
Hi,

I assume that you have integrated "normed current". If you integrate in the "phi" direction the result should be right.
Why this? The single turn coil model includes the skin - and the proximity effect. Possibly the current fractional flows in opposite direction. Those "wrong way driving" currents have to be subtracted to get the right sum. If only the amount added, the value is too high.
You can easily test it, if you picture the current density in "phi" direction.

Regards Ueli
Hi, I assume that you have integrated "normed current". If you integrate in the "phi" direction the result should be right. Why this? The single turn coil model includes the skin - and the proximity effect. Possibly the current fractional flows in opposite direction. Those "wrong way driving" currents have to be subtracted to get the right sum. If only the amount added, the value is too high. You can easily test it, if you picture the current density in "phi" direction. Regards Ueli

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.