Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reaching Convergence for Heat Transfer and Diluted Species problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm working on a Windows 7, 64-bit machine and COMSOL version 4.2a.

I am solving a heat transfer and several diluted species concentration problems under 2D transient conditions. There is a very large source term within a very small (~5 [nm]) range and several user defined mesh distributions are specified to construct the mesh.

I am able to achieve convergence for certain cases, when the geometry is a bit simpler (some cases include 2 materials, others only 1), but I have been unsuccessful in achieving convergence when there are multiple species (which are coupled).

I'm not sure whether my convergence problem is mesh related, which may be possible because the mesh quality is poor in some areas, or solver related. I've been using a direct solver (mumps and pardiso) which seems to work for simple cases, but I've noticed instabilities creeping into the solution for the 2 material case.

I've also tried adjusting the stabilization and discretization settings which seems to affect convergence and time of convergence.

So my questions are, how can I better ensure that convergence will be reached? Are there any other parameters I can adjust to ensure convergence? How do I choose an appropriate solver for my problem?

I appreciate any help or even just pointing me in the right direction for help. Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post 3 ott 2013, 18:49 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Charlie Kawczynski

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.