Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Magnetic Shielding" boundary condition can not be used in "Magnetic Field" mode?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone,
In the tutorial "One-sidee Magnet and Plate"(www.comsol.com/model/one-sided-magnet-and-plate-213), the magnetic shielding boundary condition is used in Magnetic Field, no current (mfnc) mode.
I wonder whether it is possible to be used in Magnetic Field(mf) mode.
I just try to rebuild this model in mf mode, but the result on the plate is not correct, the mf.normB is much larger than the mfnc.normB, and there is no option for me to choose the normtB, i.e. the tangential component of magnetic flux density parallel to the plate.
When I want to simulate the magnetic saturation, there is no such default variable like mf.tBx which shall corresponds to the mfnc.tHx in this tutorial.
So, anyone could explain this? Or the Magnetic shielding boundary condition is just prepared for magnetostatics?

Any reply is welcome!

3 Replies Last Post 23 ott 2013, 02:42 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 06:27 GMT-4
Hi,

I am not that experienced using Comsol, and I am not sure that I understand your question correct, but I have spend some time making magnetic shielding in Comsol, and I haven't figured out how to use the magnetic shielding boundary condition, but Transition boundary condition is working, so I just wanted to suggest that you could try to use that instead.

Anyway, hope you figure it out. :)
Hi, I am not that experienced using Comsol, and I am not sure that I understand your question correct, but I have spend some time making magnetic shielding in Comsol, and I haven't figured out how to use the magnetic shielding boundary condition, but Transition boundary condition is working, so I just wanted to suggest that you could try to use that instead. Anyway, hope you figure it out. :)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 ott 2013, 06:57 GMT-4

Hi,

I am not that experienced using Comsol, and I am not sure that I understand your question correct, but I have spend some time making magnetic shielding in Comsol, and I haven't figured out how to use the magnetic shielding boundary condition, but Transition boundary condition is working, so I just wanted to suggest that you could try to use that instead.

Anyway, hope you figure it out. :)

Dear Hansen
Thanks for your suggestions first, and I'm not familiar with Transition boundary condition.
I found that you have "spent some time making magnetic shielding in Comsol", so could you give me some information about the examples/tutorials or papers which use transition boundary condition in COMSOL?
Your kind help will be appreciated, and will be very important to my thesis.

Best Regards!
[QUOTE] Hi, I am not that experienced using Comsol, and I am not sure that I understand your question correct, but I have spend some time making magnetic shielding in Comsol, and I haven't figured out how to use the magnetic shielding boundary condition, but Transition boundary condition is working, so I just wanted to suggest that you could try to use that instead. Anyway, hope you figure it out. :) [/QUOTE] Dear Hansen Thanks for your suggestions first, and I'm not familiar with Transition boundary condition. I found that you have "spent some time making magnetic shielding in Comsol", so could you give me some information about the examples/tutorials or papers which use transition boundary condition in COMSOL? Your kind help will be appreciated, and will be very important to my thesis. Best Regards!

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 ott 2013, 02:42 GMT-4
Sorry, I haven't seen your answer before now.

I am not aware of any tutorials which uses Transition boundary condition. I got the suggestion some time ago from the support. You should also be able to just make the geometry and the specify a material. If you use the right material specifications you should also get the same result as you will get with the Transition boundary condition.
Sorry, I haven't seen your answer before now. I am not aware of any tutorials which uses Transition boundary condition. I got the suggestion some time ago from the support. You should also be able to just make the geometry and the specify a material. If you use the right material specifications you should also get the same result as you will get with the Transition boundary condition.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.