Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

combining trusses and solids

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am struggling with combining trusses and solids in a spokes wheel. The error "The relative error is greater than the relative tolerance" still remains, allthough I tried a lot of different meshes, loads and constraints.
Can anyone solve this problem?
I attached a COMSOL 4.3 file of the spokes wheel.

Regards,
Albert

2 Replies Last Post 22 ott 2013, 05:53 GMT-4
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 ott 2013, 05:41 GMT-4
Dear Albert,

As trusses can only sustain axial forces, it is needed to enable the checkbox "geometric nonlinearity" in the study.
This will take the extra stress of the truss into account when there is a small rotation in the wheel. Thus resulting in the minimal stress state when there is no rotation.

Attached you can find the model.
Note that the "include geometric nonlinearity" checkbox can be found in step 1 under study 1.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Albert, As trusses can only sustain axial forces, it is needed to enable the checkbox "geometric nonlinearity" in the study. This will take the extra stress of the truss into account when there is a small rotation in the wheel. Thus resulting in the minimal stress state when there is no rotation. Attached you can find the model. Note that the "include geometric nonlinearity" checkbox can be found in step 1 under study 1. Best regards, Frank

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 ott 2013, 05:53 GMT-4
Frank,
Thanks a lot
Frank, Thanks a lot

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.