Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

results change with time range

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm doing a time-dependent heat transfer simulation. Under "Study Settings", I change the range in the "Times" field from (0,1,100) to (0,1,1000) and then compare the solution at different time points included in both ranges (i.e. 1, 10, 100). The solution is different (by 15-20K) and the only thing I changed was the time range to output. Why is this? I thought COMSOL has it's own algorithm for choosing the time step ... the time range I specify in the "Times" field is just the range of solution values that it stores so I can access them. But shouldn't both solutions be the same for time = 10s or time = 100s or whatever? I didn't change anything but the time range.

2 Replies Last Post 22 ott 2013, 19:06 GMT-4
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 ott 2013, 15:30 GMT-4
Travis,

Check out this thread. It might help you understand what is going on:

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/39634

--
Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Travis, Check out this thread. It might help you understand what is going on: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/39634 -- Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 ott 2013, 19:06 GMT-4
That was helpful, thanks!
That was helpful, thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.