Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Moving surface charge - pzd model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I tried to build a simple test model of an oscillating surface with an applied surface charge (with pzd model).
The solution shows that the surface oscillates correctly (displacement plot). But when I plot the potential no movement is shown. Furthermore, when i evaluate the potential at a fixed point in space near the charged and oscillating surface, the potential remains constant, as if the surface doesn't move at all. I would expect to see the potential oscillate with the same frequency as the surface.

Does anyone know what i am doing wrong?

Model is attached...

Thanks in advance

1 Reply Last Post 5 dic 2013, 06:01 GMT-5
Bettina Schieche COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 dic 2013, 06:01 GMT-5
Dear Mr. Hansen,

please note that you can plot the deformation, but the material does not follow the deformation. In other words, the geometry frame and the material frame use the same coordinate system (see the chapter "About Frames" in the documentation). So, if you track the solution at a fixed point, it remains constant.

The material follows the deformation in case a "Deformed Geometry" interface is used or the "include geometric nonlinearity" is checked for a structural mechanics interface. Another solution is to manually evaluate the solution at the coordinates (x+u(x,y),y+v(x,y)). Here the spatial at operator may be of help (chapter "Operators, Functions, and Constants" in the documentation).

Best Regards
Bettina Schieche

Dear Mr. Hansen, please note that you can plot the deformation, but the material does not follow the deformation. In other words, the geometry frame and the material frame use the same coordinate system (see the chapter "About Frames" in the documentation). So, if you track the solution at a fixed point, it remains constant. The material follows the deformation in case a "Deformed Geometry" interface is used or the "include geometric nonlinearity" is checked for a structural mechanics interface. Another solution is to manually evaluate the solution at the coordinates (x+u(x,y),y+v(x,y)). Here the spatial at operator may be of help (chapter "Operators, Functions, and Constants" in the documentation). Best Regards Bettina Schieche

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.