Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

membrane displacement with AC actuation/excitation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a MEMS structure which is comparable to a parallel plate capacitor: The top membrane/plate is fixed at both end and free to bend up and down, while the bottom membrane/plate is fixed (not moving). Top plate is considered as terminal and bottom plate is ground. So when there's potential difference, the top plate will be displaced/bend towards the bottom plate.
The idea is to use AC actuation instead of DC, in order to avoid the charging effect. Plus, the frequency should be set beyond the natural frequency, so that we can get a constant/stable (not oscillating) top plate displacement. This has been confirmed experimentally. In the simulation however, if the frequency is set beyond the first natural frequency of the structure, the membrane start to bent upwards. Even with AC, the electrostatic force between these two plate should be the same, and the plate should move to each other. So it is "weird" for the top membrane to move away from the bottom plate (as far as I know). Does anyone knows why it is like this? I have spent more than a month to figure this out, but with no success.

The physics used are: electric current & solid mechanics. Study is done in frequency domain. This was also done with DC actuation, and the results are comparable to experimental values. So i suspect my AC-simulation might be wrong somewhere.

Many thanks in advance for your helps!! =)

2 Replies Last Post 12 mar 2015, 23:47 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mustaqim Iskhandar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 feb 2014, 09:40 GMT-5
Are you using the Eigenfrequency study?

If yes, there's no error. The result is simply shown with the "wrong" phase.
You can go to Results > Data Set > Solution > Solution at angle. And you can increase the displayed value by 180°.
Are you using the Eigenfrequency study? If yes, there's no error. The result is simply shown with the "wrong" phase. You can go to Results > Data Set > Solution > Solution at angle. And you can increase the displayed value by 180°.

Posted: 9 years ago 12 mar 2015, 23:47 GMT-4
sir i have also tried to displaced the membrane but can't do so..........i have tried to simulate a micropump which consist of a membrane and ground plate but failed to simulate it.................sir can you please send me your simulated model so that i can simulate...........................
sir i have also tried to displaced the membrane but can't do so..........i have tried to simulate a micropump which consist of a membrane and ground plate but failed to simulate it.................sir can you please send me your simulated model so that i can simulate...........................

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.