Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone!

I am using Comsol 3.5a and cannot figure it out, how to mesh this attached model ... I tried everthing from free mesh predefined mesh sizes (all of them) to boundary layer mesh but I'm still getting errors during mesh. Would anyone be so kind to help me, please, I really need this.

Thanks!

3 Replies Last Post 14 gen 2014, 08:43 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 gen 2014, 08:11 GMT-5
I opened your model in Comsol 4.3b. Your problem is the very thin (2e-5m) layer on the top of the block. The four cones in the center I meshed with tetrahedra of the minimum element size 1e-4, deleted the thin layer, and did the rest with free tetrahedra. No problem.

Hence, you need to deal with the very thin layer in another way, perhaps via the boundary condition - I do not know better as I do not remember any more how 3.5 works.
I opened your model in Comsol 4.3b. Your problem is the very thin (2e-5m) layer on the top of the block. The four cones in the center I meshed with tetrahedra of the minimum element size 1e-4, deleted the thin layer, and did the rest with free tetrahedra. No problem. Hence, you need to deal with the very thin layer in another way, perhaps via the boundary condition - I do not know better as I do not remember any more how 3.5 works.

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 gen 2014, 08:23 GMT-5
Continues...

Set the resolution of narrow regions to 1e-5, for example. That makes the trick.

Lasse
Continues... Set the resolution of narrow regions to 1e-5, for example. That makes the trick. Lasse

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 gen 2014, 08:43 GMT-5
Thanks for reply and helping me Lasse!
I will try to work this out ... on the other hand I am thinking that it would be great if I go to higher Comsol version. I think they are more user friendly and not so buggy :)

Thanks again!
Thanks for reply and helping me Lasse! I will try to work this out ... on the other hand I am thinking that it would be great if I go to higher Comsol version. I think they are more user friendly and not so buggy :) Thanks again!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.