Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Linking different variables across assembly boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Suppose I have two domains, finalised as Assembly. Variable Ve on the left and Vi on the right. I'd like to set up continuity between those variables. (There is no point in that, I know — just use one variable and Continuity pair — but if I know how to do this, I can solve my more complex problem.)

If I set up an Electric Potential (from the Pairs submenu) under Ve's interface, and set it equal to Vi, there is an error that Vi isn't defined there. This is true, because Vi is only defined at the other domain of the assembly. But the solution to also define it on this part isn't good, because then this additional domain of Vi, where Vi isn't modelling anything and has been defined only to make it available on the left, interacts with the rest of the system (say, if I put a Dirichlet BC of 10 kV on its far side, all the voltages go up throughout the model).

What I need, somehow, is to be able to define Vi on the right domain, and also just on a boundary of the left domain, for the purposes of making it available there. Is this possible?

-- Evgeni.org

1 Reply Last Post 12 gen 2014, 22:08 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 gen 2014, 22:08 GMT-5
Eureka! I just figured it out. Instead of using Electric Potential from the Pairs submenu, I've put a standard Electric Potential under Vi's interface, on the assembly boundary (the side of it belonging to Vi's domain), and specified the potential as src2dst_ap1(Ve), where ap1 is the identity pair that was created automatically. This gave the expected result without having to extend the domain of either Vi or Ve artificially.

Only it complained about "Unexpected unit of input". This was fixed by changing it to src2dst_ap1(V/1[V])*1[V] .

I thought that this is what the Electric Potential BC from the Pairs submenu is supposed to do... I guess not.

-- Evgeni.org
Eureka! I just figured it out. Instead of using Electric Potential from the Pairs submenu, I've put a standard Electric Potential under Vi's interface, on the assembly boundary (the side of it belonging to Vi's domain), and specified the potential as src2dst_ap1(Ve), where ap1 is the identity pair that was created automatically. This gave the expected result without having to extend the domain of either Vi or Ve artificially. Only it complained about "Unexpected unit of input". This was fixed by changing it to src2dst_ap1(V/1[V])*1[V] . I thought that this is what the Electric Potential BC from the Pairs submenu is supposed to do... I guess not.                                                                                                                                                                                                          -- http://Evgeni.org

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.