Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem to eddy current response in 2D modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I built a model in COMSOL 4.3a using AC/DC module to simulate eddy current response excited by a linear coil. A sin wave is used as excitation signal in a linear coil, and the response of eddy current density under the coil has distortion in amplitude and frequency of sin waves.

For single frequency, the response should be the same frequency as excitation. Is there any problems in my set-up? Thanks a lot!

Please find the model and signals for excitation and eddy current density attached.

3 Replies Last Post 22 gen 2014, 09:23 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 gen 2014, 07:40 GMT-5

As far as I see it is the same frequency, just with a phase shift, because there are resistive losses in the material.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
As far as I see it is the same frequency, just with a phase shift, because there are resistive losses in the material. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 gen 2014, 08:50 GMT-5
So how to reduce the phase shift and amplitude attenuation?

Cheers

As far as I see it is the same frequency, just with a phase shift, because there are resistive losses in the material.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com

So how to reduce the phase shift and amplitude attenuation? Cheers [QUOTE] As far as I see it is the same frequency, just with a phase shift, because there are resistive losses in the material. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com [/QUOTE]

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 gen 2014, 09:23 GMT-5

The induced current's field will always attenuate the exciting field, that's the nature of induction. Reducing losses will reduce the phase shift.
The question is, what is the purpose of the setup and why do you need to avoid the phase shift? In many applications based on eddy currents it is a desired effect bcause it provides information about the material.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
The induced current's field will always attenuate the exciting field, that's the nature of induction. Reducing losses will reduce the phase shift. The question is, what is the purpose of the setup and why do you need to avoid the phase shift? In many applications based on eddy currents it is a desired effect bcause it provides information about the material. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.