Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reactive transport of two species

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have two streams of water flow into the same conduit under laminar conditions where they mix by diffusion. Flow is from left to right and compound A enters at the top half, whereas B enters along the bottom half of the left side. Compounds mix and form compound C by a reversible reaction, which is described below. A and B are dissolved, so their diffusion constant is 1E-9 m2/s, but C precipitates as a solid with a diffusion constant of 1E-12 m2/s.

I have defined the forward and reverse rates,concentration and reaction in the variable section.

But I think my product C is not precipitating as a solid. Can anyone guide me as to what I have done wrong?

Attached is my model

3 Replies Last Post 11 feb 2014, 10:27 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 feb 2014, 12:15 GMT-5
Hi,

Anyone. Please help. Why is my precipitate which is solid not settling at the bottom of the pipe. I have added gravity to the laminar flow model by modifying the outlet pressure BC and adding volume force.

I have been stuck with this from past 1 month. Any suggestions/pointers will be very much appreciated.

Attached is my model.
Hi, Anyone. Please help. Why is my precipitate which is solid not settling at the bottom of the pipe. I have added gravity to the laminar flow model by modifying the outlet pressure BC and adding volume force. I have been stuck with this from past 1 month. Any suggestions/pointers will be very much appreciated. Attached is my model.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 feb 2014, 16:27 GMT-5
Romani:

The way you have set up the problem, you will not be able to get solid C to precipitate at the bottom. You are solving a single phase problem where both your reactants (A & B) are in the liquid phase and the product (C) is also in the liquid phase. What you need is a system of equations which solves for the reactants in the liquid phase, just the way you have already described, but the product will have to be converted to a solid depending on its solubility in water or whatever liquid phase you need. I have not solved such a problem before so I cannot give you guidance on how to solve it, but I would start with a 2-phase flow interface with solid + liquid phases. I hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Sri.

Romani: The way you have set up the problem, you will not be able to get solid C to precipitate at the bottom. You are solving a single phase problem where both your reactants (A & B) are in the liquid phase and the product (C) is also in the liquid phase. What you need is a system of equations which solves for the reactants in the liquid phase, just the way you have already described, but the product will have to be converted to a solid depending on its solubility in water or whatever liquid phase you need. I have not solved such a problem before so I cannot give you guidance on how to solve it, but I would start with a 2-phase flow interface with solid + liquid phases. I hope this helps. Good Luck, Sri.

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 feb 2014, 10:27 GMT-5
HI Sri,

Thank you so much for replying..

Romani
HI Sri, Thank you so much for replying.. Romani

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.