Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Filtration of nanoparticles in porous membrane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all, I'm simulating the rejection of nanoparticles that pass through a porous membrane.
I am using the physics of "Particle tracing for fluid flow" and "Laminar flow" and set up some particles bigger than the pore size so that those particles are supposed to be rejected (not pass through the membrane).
I expected those big particles would remain on the membrane surface, not passing though membrane.
But I found that all of them pass through the membrane when I check the statuses of their final deposition.

Do I have to use another module to simulate the particle filtration though a porous membrane or is there some thing that I may miss?

Thank you for your reply!

Dukwoo

4 Replies Last Post 30 set 2014, 19:42 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 feb 2014, 04:58 GMT-5
Hi Dukwoo,

which is your domain? Have you designed a porous membrane with nano pores?
If yes have you used a mesh with elements of the right size?

Regards
--
Marino Miccio
Chemical Engineer
marinomiccio.wix.com/home
Hi Dukwoo, which is your domain? Have you designed a porous membrane with nano pores? If yes have you used a mesh with elements of the right size? Regards -- Marino Miccio Chemical Engineer http://marinomiccio.wix.com/home

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 feb 2014, 11:07 GMT-5
Yes, the pore size of my membrane is ~15 nm of diameter.
Technically, I didn't use user-defined meshing but physics-controlled meshing (as "Finer").
Should I define the mesh myself?

Thank you!

Dukwoo
Yes, the pore size of my membrane is ~15 nm of diameter. Technically, I didn't use user-defined meshing but physics-controlled meshing (as "Finer"). Should I define the mesh myself? Thank you! Dukwoo

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 feb 2014, 04:23 GMT-5
You should check also graphically if your mesh elements are smaller than your pores.
If it is not, you can try to solve it with an user defined mesh.

--
Marino Miccio
Chemical Engineer
marinomiccio.wix.com/home
You should check also graphically if your mesh elements are smaller than your pores. If it is not, you can try to solve it with an user defined mesh. -- Marino Miccio Chemical Engineer http://marinomiccio.wix.com/home

Posted: 10 years ago 30 set 2014, 19:42 GMT-4
hello there,

did you find a solution to your problem. I ran into the same truing to simulate transport of nanoparticles through a microfilter pore. particles larger than the filter pore passed through it..

satish
hello there, did you find a solution to your problem. I ran into the same truing to simulate transport of nanoparticles through a microfilter pore. particles larger than the filter pore passed through it.. satish

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.