Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to specify an acceleration (caused by an EM force) in a moving mesh application mode

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I am doing a time dependent analysis of an electromagnetic actuator. I am using the “azimuthal induction currents” application mode. I would now like to combine this application mode with a moving mesh (ALE). From the Maxwell stress tensor I can calculate the electromagnetic force that acts on a specific subdomain, and by dividing by the mass I know the acceleration of this subdomain. I am now interested in knowing how I can specify this acceleration in the moving mesh application mode. In the Subdomain settings I can only find settings for specifying a prescribed displacement. Any input on this issue is much appreciated…

Thanks in advance,
Johan Gustafsson

10 Replies Last Post 10 mar 2016, 10:02 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mar 2010, 09:03 GMT-4
Hi,

You can leave the sub-domain on "free displacement".
Normally it should work since that you have the acceleration. You can set a velocity to the concerned boundaries, which should be connected to the acceleration via the time stepping.

Good luck ,

Hi, You can leave the sub-domain on "free displacement". Normally it should work since that you have the acceleration. You can set a velocity to the concerned boundaries, which should be connected to the acceleration via the time stepping. Good luck ,

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mar 2010, 10:19 GMT-4
Hi again,

Thanks a lot for your replay! It sounds good... do you possibly have any more information about what variables to use?

I guess that the formulas for the boundary conditions shall look something like:
v = v0 + a * deltaT
where v0 is the velocity in the previous time step, a is the acceleration and deltaT is the time step length.

or if the displacement is specified:

x = x0 + v0 * deltaT + (1/2) * a * deltaT^2 (linear motion)

where x0 is the displacement (=position) in the previous time step. But what are the variable names in COMSOL needed to obtain the values of x0, v0 and deltaT?

Regards,
Johan Gustafsson
Hi again, Thanks a lot for your replay! It sounds good... do you possibly have any more information about what variables to use? I guess that the formulas for the boundary conditions shall look something like: v = v0 + a * deltaT where v0 is the velocity in the previous time step, a is the acceleration and deltaT is the time step length. or if the displacement is specified: x = x0 + v0 * deltaT + (1/2) * a * deltaT^2 (linear motion) where x0 is the displacement (=position) in the previous time step. But what are the variable names in COMSOL needed to obtain the values of x0, v0 and deltaT? Regards, Johan Gustafsson

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mar 2010, 11:02 GMT-4
Hi,

It is much better to set velocity than displacement, but it should work for both.
I have attached a simple model (that I have already posted for practically the same purpose) which can help you to understand more.
The model is composed of two parallel plates. One in the bottom fixed and the second in the top supposed to move with a certain velocity.
I have set the velocity dependent with time linearly (in global expressions):

V=acceleration*t With an adequate time range and step.

Note that the value representing the acceleration in this model is negative. It does not mean a deceleration but it means the direction of the displacement negative or positive following your displacement. This is a convention when you set velocities, you have to take into account the direction of the displacement.

I hope it helps and good luck,

Cheers
Hi, It is much better to set velocity than displacement, but it should work for both. I have attached a simple model (that I have already posted for practically the same purpose) which can help you to understand more. The model is composed of two parallel plates. One in the bottom fixed and the second in the top supposed to move with a certain velocity. I have set the velocity dependent with time linearly (in global expressions): V=acceleration*t With an adequate time range and step. Note that the value representing the acceleration in this model is negative. It does not mean a deceleration but it means the direction of the displacement negative or positive following your displacement. This is a convention when you set velocities, you have to take into account the direction of the displacement. I hope it helps and good luck, Cheers

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 mar 2010, 12:53 GMT-4
Hi again,

Thanks a lot for helping me by uploading the example model and the tips of using the boundary conditions, unfortunately I still haven’t been able to completely resolve the issue.

The plate_motion.mph example has, like you say, a constant acceleration specified. But in my model the acceleration depends on the displacement and velocity of the subdomain. The boundary conditions for the moving mesh application mode only allow the mesh displacement or the mesh velocity to be specified, not the mesh acceleration unfortunately.

I need to somehow integrate the velocity due to the acceleration. Similar to this:
v = v0 + a * deltaT

where v0 is the velocity in the previous time step, a is the acceleration and deltaT is the time step length. As I understand it the time variable (t) is just a scalar variable for the current time (not the time step?). I guess that the current velocity v0 can be obtained as “zt”, the time derivative in the z-direction, (my model is axisymmetric). But I have still have not been able to figure out how to express the integral of the acceleration.

Thanks,
Johan
Hi again, Thanks a lot for helping me by uploading the example model and the tips of using the boundary conditions, unfortunately I still haven’t been able to completely resolve the issue. The plate_motion.mph example has, like you say, a constant acceleration specified. But in my model the acceleration depends on the displacement and velocity of the subdomain. The boundary conditions for the moving mesh application mode only allow the mesh displacement or the mesh velocity to be specified, not the mesh acceleration unfortunately. I need to somehow integrate the velocity due to the acceleration. Similar to this: v = v0 + a * deltaT where v0 is the velocity in the previous time step, a is the acceleration and deltaT is the time step length. As I understand it the time variable (t) is just a scalar variable for the current time (not the time step?). I guess that the current velocity v0 can be obtained as “zt”, the time derivative in the z-direction, (my model is axisymmetric). But I have still have not been able to figure out how to express the integral of the acceleration. Thanks, Johan

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 mar 2010, 13:02 GMT-4
interrresting problem you are investigating
why dont you use a global equation to calculate the velocity from acceleration?
if you have gamma you just solve vt-gamma=0

JF
interrresting problem you are investigating why dont you use a global equation to calculate the velocity from acceleration? if you have gamma you just solve vt-gamma=0 JF

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 mar 2010, 08:16 GMT-4
Hi,

I could not understand what you are trying to do with this integration!!!

In your first post, you have mentioned that your acceleration is calculated within the Maxwell stress tensor!!
So I really could not understand this : "But in my model the acceleration depends on the displacement and velocity of the sub-domain"??
If your acceleration is time dependent it is not a problem. Just replace it in the previous equation and that's all!!

I hope it helps,

Cheers,
Hi, I could not understand what you are trying to do with this integration!!! In your first post, you have mentioned that your acceleration is calculated within the Maxwell stress tensor!! So I really could not understand this : "But in my model the acceleration depends on the displacement and velocity of the sub-domain"?? If your acceleration is time dependent it is not a problem. Just replace it in the previous equation and that's all!! I hope it helps, Cheers,

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 apr 2010, 03:12 GMT-4
Thanks a lot R. Faycal and Jean Francois, for taking time to discuss this problem with me. It has been very helpful. Specifying a global equation did the trick. The reason that I confused you regarding my problem is that to start with I only wanted to specify the acceleration caused by an EM force, but in my problem I also have a displacement dependent force (a spring) and a velocity dependent (damping). So I ended up having to specify a global equation to solve for the displacement and not the velocity and it seems to work fine.

Thanks again,
Johan
Thanks a lot R. Faycal and Jean Francois, for taking time to discuss this problem with me. It has been very helpful. Specifying a global equation did the trick. The reason that I confused you regarding my problem is that to start with I only wanted to specify the acceleration caused by an EM force, but in my problem I also have a displacement dependent force (a spring) and a velocity dependent (damping). So I ended up having to specify a global equation to solve for the displacement and not the velocity and it seems to work fine. Thanks again, Johan

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 apr 2010, 07:52 GMT-4
Dear Sir,
Can you tell me how to write global equation in differential and integral form. thank you in advance
and regards
Dear Sir, Can you tell me how to write global equation in differential and integral form. thank you in advance and regards

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 apr 2010, 09:21 GMT-4
hi
\i am also trying same kind of model. In my case, forces acting on the armature (moving part)are magnetic and gravitational forces
> when current of the electromagnet is switched off, the armature falls due to its weight.
> when i am using ALE, the armature is moving but magnetic flux density in armature is remaining same, on the contrary, the value of B should decrease.
> in starting i am not switching of my current. and armature is moved with a fixed velocity.

Please give some suggestion.
thanks
vijay sharma
hi \i am also trying same kind of model. In my case, forces acting on the armature (moving part)are magnetic and gravitational forces > when current of the electromagnet is switched off, the armature falls due to its weight. > when i am using ALE, the armature is moving but magnetic flux density in armature is remaining same, on the contrary, the value of B should decrease. > in starting i am not switching of my current. and armature is moved with a fixed velocity. Please give some suggestion. thanks vijay sharma

Posted: 8 years ago 10 mar 2016, 10:02 GMT-5
Hi Johan,

I have the same problem as you had. I am studying the movement of the armature of an electromagnetic actuator and I used the magnetic fields physics to calculate the magnetic force. After that I defined the total force at the global equations physics (the forces acting in the plunger are the magnetic force plus the spring force). The problem I have at the moment is that the armature moves more than it should and interferes with the fixed parts, so I was assuming that I do something wrong in the definition of the forces.

Can you share a screenshot of how did you setup the Newton's Law of Motion and the displacement if possible?

Kind regards,
Pavlos.
Hi Johan, I have the same problem as you had. I am studying the movement of the armature of an electromagnetic actuator and I used the magnetic fields physics to calculate the magnetic force. After that I defined the total force at the global equations physics (the forces acting in the plunger are the magnetic force plus the spring force). The problem I have at the moment is that the armature moves more than it should and interferes with the fixed parts, so I was assuming that I do something wrong in the definition of the forces. Can you share a screenshot of how did you setup the Newton's Law of Motion and the displacement if possible? Kind regards, Pavlos.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.