Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stresses in Cylindrical Coordinate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In my model, a part has a cylindrical shape. I want to get the stresses on the circular surface using cylindrical coordinate I have changed the coordinate system to cylindrical system. However, I am bit confused wheter to use Material or Spatial frame type. When spatial frame is selected, cylindrical system does not appear for the linear elastic material node. I am guessing it is due to the fact that there are few non cylindrical part in the geometry. So only option remains is to select Material frame type. Will this give me correct results? I really need the stresses in terms of cylindrical coordinates. i would be greatful if someone could explain.

For example, using material frame type
solid.Sl11 should give the stresses in radial direction (please correct me if I am wrong).

2 Replies Last Post 10 mar 2014, 11:29 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mar 2014, 10:39 GMT-4
Hi,

You can find the answers to most of your questions in

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/34639

And yes: solid.Sl11 will then give the radial stresses.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You can find the answers to most of your questions in http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/34639 And yes: solid.Sl11 will then give the radial stresses. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mar 2014, 11:29 GMT-4
Thanks!
Thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.