Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Directional Coupler

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model a directional coupler in 2D. I get the following error
Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the equation residual vector.
There are 1 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable comp1.ewbe.S1x.
at coordinates: (0,0), ...
There are 1 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable comp1.ewbe.S2x.
There are 1 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable comp1.ewbe.S3x.

What does this error mean?

8 Replies Last Post 20 ago 2014, 04:21 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mar 2014, 12:01 GMT-4
Ravikant,

can you please post a simplified version of your model?

cheers,
Felipe BM
Ravikant, can you please post a simplified version of your model? cheers, Felipe BM

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mar 2014, 13:25 GMT-4
Hey Felipe
Please find the model attached over here.
Thanks
Ravi
Hey Felipe Please find the model attached over here. Thanks Ravi

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mar 2014, 14:08 GMT-4
Ravikant,

I have found some errors in your model.

1) Port 4 has no active boundaries.
2) In all Boundary Mode Analysis (steps 1-4) you must use a positive integer for the "Port Name". Instead you use a mixture of numbers and dots which I dont understand where they came from.

Question1: are you trying to mix a symmetric and anti-symmetric mode?
Question2: How do you calculate (and visualize) those effective indexes? You will need them as a shoot, in order to put that value inside the box called "Search for modes around:"

Try correcting the errors above and please tell me if that solves it.

cheers,
Felipe BM
Ravikant, I have found some errors in your model. 1) Port 4 has no active boundaries. 2) In all Boundary Mode Analysis (steps 1-4) you must use a positive integer for the "Port Name". Instead you use a mixture of numbers and dots which I dont understand where they came from. Question1: are you trying to mix a symmetric and anti-symmetric mode? Question2: How do you calculate (and visualize) those effective indexes? You will need them as a shoot, in order to put that value inside the box called "Search for modes around:" Try correcting the errors above and please tell me if that solves it. cheers, Felipe BM

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mar 2014, 16:10 GMT-4
Rakivant,

I had problems attaching the file using the forum interface. Please see the model I've uploaded here:

www.dropbox.com/s/l5o0xog452wo164/dual_core_2D.mph

The model is in version 4.4, if that suppose a problem I can upload snapshots of the model configuration.

I hope that makes what you are expecting.

cheers,
Felipe BM
Rakivant, I had problems attaching the file using the forum interface. Please see the model I've uploaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5o0xog452wo164/dual_core_2D.mph The model is in version 4.4, if that suppose a problem I can upload snapshots of the model configuration. I hope that makes what you are expecting. cheers, Felipe BM

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mar 2014, 20:11 GMT-4
Felipe
Thanks for the corrections. I'll apply these first thing tomorrow morning when I get to my lab and let you know.
Ravikant
Felipe Thanks for the corrections. I'll apply these first thing tomorrow morning when I get to my lab and let you know. Ravikant

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mar 2014, 21:01 GMT-4
Thanks Felipe. It works. This is what I was expecting.
Thanks Felipe. It works. This is what I was expecting.

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mar 2014, 13:23 GMT-4
glad to know I was able to help you!
cheers,
Felipe BM
glad to know I was able to help you! cheers, Felipe BM

Posted: 10 years ago 20 ago 2014, 04:21 GMT-4
Hello,Ravi.
I'm a student from China.
Would you mind telling me how did you solve the problem in you model?Cause i encounter a similar problem
Thanks a lot!
Hello,Ravi. I'm a student from China. Would you mind telling me how did you solve the problem in you model?Cause i encounter a similar problem Thanks a lot!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.