Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thermoelastic damping in MEMS resonators

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm using Comsol to simulate a mems resonator. I want to model thermoelastic damping in the resonator. When I use anisotronic material for my model, I got errors. But when I tried to simulate with isotropic materials, it worked. So It seem that thermoelasticity interface in Comsol cannot work with anisotropic materials.

So Could anyone please help me how to simulate it with anisotropic materials.

Thanks in advance!!!

3 Replies Last Post 25 nov 2014, 15:56 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mar 2014, 08:39 GMT-4
Hi,

Using anisotropic materials in the Thermoelasticity interface should not cause any problems .

Could you please be a bit more specific about the type or error message that you receive, or possibly post a model?

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Using anisotropic materials in the Thermoelasticity interface should not cause any problems . Could you please be a bit more specific about the type or error message that you receive, or possibly post a model? Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mar 2014, 11:13 GMT-4
Hi Henrik,

When I follow this paper "Thermoelastic Damping in a MEMS Resonator " to simulate my model with isotropic diamond material It showed good results. But when I changed to anisotropic diamond material I get error "Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian.
-Variable: Mod1.te.Dr66.
-Geometry:1
- Domain: 1 5 9
-Feature:Eigenvalue Solver1(sol1/e1)
-Error: Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian "
So here I attatched my file for the error and model.

I hope you can help me fix this problem. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Ha Dep

Hi Henrik, When I follow this paper "Thermoelastic Damping in a MEMS Resonator " to simulate my model with isotropic diamond material It showed good results. But when I changed to anisotropic diamond material I get error "Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian. -Variable: Mod1.te.Dr66. -Geometry:1 - Domain: 1 5 9 -Feature:Eigenvalue Solver1(sol1/e1) -Error: Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian " So here I attatched my file for the error and model. I hope you can help me fix this problem. Thanks a lot. Regards, Ha Dep

Mohammadreza Mohagheghi Nejad

Posted: 10 years ago 25 nov 2014, 15:56 GMT-5
Hi,
I have been trying to model thermoelastic damping in an electrostatic micro plate in comsol 4.3, could anyone help me how to simulate it in comsol 4.3. Any help will be appreciated.
Hi, I have been trying to model thermoelastic damping in an electrostatic micro plate in comsol 4.3, could anyone help me how to simulate it in comsol 4.3. Any help will be appreciated.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.