Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to apply a magnetic field and see the magnetostriction in the magnetostrictive material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have a sphere of Terfenol-D in air as you know Terfenol-D is a magnetostrictive material, so when you apply a magnetic field its changes its shape.

I want to model this thing in COMSOL that i want to apply a certain magnetic field and see how the shape of the sphere is deformed and by how much ?

Does any one has any idea that how can i do that. I have attached a picture of the my model the middle sphere is Terfenol-D and the torus around is silica.

Regards
Syeda,

4 Replies Last Post 3 mag 2017, 03:26 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mar 2014, 08:19 GMT-4
Hi,

There is an instructive model called 'Nonlinear Magnetostrictive Transducer' in the Model Library.

www.comsol.com/model/nonlinear-magnetostrictive-transducer-6063

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, There is an instructive model called 'Nonlinear Magnetostrictive Transducer' in the Model Library. http://www.comsol.com/model/nonlinear-magnetostrictive-transducer-6063 Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago 26 ott 2015, 01:27 GMT-4
Hi there,

I'm trying to solve a similar problem, however, I want to define the current density to change over time to see how displacement/strain of the magnetostrictive material varies over time. What is the best way to do this?

Also, I'm trying to use a time-dependent solver and when I run compute, it throws up an error as given below
---
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Last time step is not converged.
---
I am in the process of understanding how to solve such problems and any pointers would be useful.

Update 1. Now I have another error as below

---

Maximum number of Newton iterations reached

Time X#1.837969443133324e-08

Last time step is not converged

... 12 more
----
Are there any parameters that I'm missing to change while solving for a time-dependent study? Thanks

Cheers,
Varun.
Hi there, I'm trying to solve a similar problem, however, I want to define the current density to change over time to see how displacement/strain of the magnetostrictive material varies over time. What is the best way to do this? Also, I'm trying to use a time-dependent solver and when I run compute, it throws up an error as given below --- Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged. --- I am in the process of understanding how to solve such problems and any pointers would be useful. Update 1. Now I have another error as below --- Messages: Nonlinear solver did not converge Maximum number of Newton iterations reached Time X#1.837969443133324e-08 Last time step is not converged ... 12 more ---- Are there any parameters that I'm missing to change while solving for a time-dependent study? Thanks Cheers, Varun.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 1 lug 2016, 15:00 GMT-4
At version 5.2a, the Structural Mechanics Module includes a pre-implemented interface for modeling magnetostriction: www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module .
Best regards,
Jeff
At version 5.2a, the Structural Mechanics Module includes a pre-implemented interface for modeling magnetostriction: https://www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module . Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago 3 mag 2017, 03:26 GMT-4

Dear all,

I have a sphere of Terfenol-D in air as you know Terfenol-D is a magnetostrictive material, so when you apply a magnetic field its changes its shape.

I want to model this thing in COMSOL that i want to apply a certain magnetic field and see how the shape of the sphere is deformed and by how much ?

Does any one has any idea that how can i do that. I have attached a picture of the my model the middle sphere is Terfenol-D and the torus around is silica.

Regards
Syeda,

Hello, I'm also study magnetostrictive material, I want to study the nonlinear coupling stress constitutive, can you add my QQ contact 383156448 or email : sxycyzhj@sina.cn

thank you

[QUOTE] Dear all, I have a sphere of Terfenol-D in air as you know Terfenol-D is a magnetostrictive material, so when you apply a magnetic field its changes its shape. I want to model this thing in COMSOL that i want to apply a certain magnetic field and see how the shape of the sphere is deformed and by how much ? Does any one has any idea that how can i do that. I have attached a picture of the my model the middle sphere is Terfenol-D and the torus around is silica. Regards Syeda, [/QUOTE] Hello, I'm also study magnetostrictive material, I want to study the nonlinear coupling stress constitutive, can you add my QQ contact 383156448 or email : sxycyzhj@sina.cn thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.