Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency domain using two pi/4 phaseshifted Piezos

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to analyse the mechanical behaviour of a spring, that is being piezoelectrically activated. With one piezo this wasnt any problem, as i would just use 5V as electrical potential, and run a simple FrequencyDomain analysis.
But in my case the Piezos need to be phaseshifted like:
U1=U0*sin(2pi*f*t)
U2=U0*sin(2pi*f*t+pi/4)
I tried to use waveforms as global definitions and used them for my electrical potential like "wv1(t[1/s])" (found that hint on another thread), which seems to work in the first place, as the entry wont turn red/yellow.
Trying to simulate, i get this error:
--------------------------
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: t
- Geometry: 1
- Boundary: 52 67
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: comp1.pzd.V0
- Defined as: wv2((t/unit_s_cf))
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: comp1.pzd.V0-comp1.V
-------------------------

I tried looking for solutions on the forum, but couldnt find any useable (or im just searching for the wrong topics, as im very new on comsol). I mean this is a very basic problem:
Two phaseshifted oscillations on something... it probably hardly matters in that case if its voltage, force or whatever..

Thanks Andreas

2 Replies Last Post 3 apr 2014, 05:47 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 apr 2014, 04:29 GMT-4
Andreas,

I would rather recommend to stay with the frequency domain study and introduce phase shift with complex notation: 5 V corrsponds to 0°, 5i V to 90°, etc. You can do that any context.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Andreas, I would rather recommend to stay with the frequency domain study and introduce phase shift with complex notation: 5 V corrsponds to 0°, 5i V to 90°, etc. You can do that any context. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 apr 2014, 05:47 GMT-4
Edgar,

thanks for that advice, i didnt know you can use complex that easily on boundary conditions. Works perfectly fine.

Greetings,
Andreas
Edgar, thanks for that advice, i didnt know you can use complex that easily on boundary conditions. Works perfectly fine. Greetings, Andreas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.