Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling Electromagnetic (using mf) and Electrostatic (using emi) MEMS Actuation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to simulate the mechanical force between two current-carrying MEMS gold beams (as part of an electromagnetic actuator), and I want to include the effect of an electrostatic force between them as well (due to an applied voltage difference between the beams). In the attached file, I am already using the AC/DC Module's Magnetic Fields (mf) for the analysis of the electromagnetic actuation, and I am not sure how to couple this to the electromechanical interface (emi) in the Structural Mechanics Module in order to simulate an electromagnetic electrostatic actuator.

Accordingly, I do need your help. I am attaching the mph file for your reference. Please feel free to edit the file and send it back to me.

Thank you very much!

Ahmed

1 Reply Last Post 8 apr 2014, 08:33 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 apr 2014, 08:33 GMT-4
Hi Ahmed

my advice would be to start in 2D, your results should then read per meter (or mm ...) depth as you have no variations along the depth (Z in X-Y 2D) but along X in your 3D model, at least in first approximation
then check my old input on the "www.comsol.com/community/exchange/71/" for the force calculation.
This model example was for old 3.5, now you need to repeat it for new v4.4, as the SW has evolved.
One issue are the sharp edges of your connector, you might need to fillet the edges

Check carefully the mesh dependence (including mesh density variations and symmetry)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Ahmed my advice would be to start in 2D, your results should then read per meter (or mm ...) depth as you have no variations along the depth (Z in X-Y 2D) but along X in your 3D model, at least in first approximation then check my old input on the "http://www.comsol.com/community/exchange/71/" for the force calculation. This model example was for old 3.5, now you need to repeat it for new v4.4, as the SW has evolved. One issue are the sharp edges of your connector, you might need to fillet the edges Check carefully the mesh dependence (including mesh density variations and symmetry) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.