Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

System state dependent boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In simulations of evaporation from porous media convergence issues in COMSOL may arise

Consider a porous media is of arbritrary length (1D) and the water movement within is mathematically expressed by the Richards equation.
The lower boundary is defined to be a zero flux boundary condition.
The upper boundary is an atmospheric boundary condition, i.e. a vector over time, with discrete boundary fluxes. If at an arbritrary timeintervall "delta_t_i", the boundary flux provided is larger than the porous media can physically sustain* water flow, convergence problems in COMSOL simulations arise.
The model has been implemented in coefficient form.

The question is: How can flux boundary conditions be defined in a way that a system dependent swith for the boundary type is deone, i.e from Neumann to Dirichlet? (NeumannDirichlet conditions)

The solution in general

* In evaporation 2 stages of evaporation may be differentiated: Stage 1 and Stage 2. Rule: Stage 1, athmospheric conditions limits the evaporation, Stage 2 hydraulic properties of the porous media limit evaporation. The above mentioned problem arises when entering stage 2 evaporation in simulation of this kind

0 Replies Last Post 15 apr 2014, 05:04 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tobias Weber

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.