Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding the best step size

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I've been trying to simulate flow past a (hot) cylinder. I simulate Re-Numbers up to 190.

After running the simulation for various step sizes (0.5/1/10/20/50/100 s) I tried to visualize the relative errors of some specific values with respect to the value acquired with step size 0.5s.

The errors cocnerning temperature and v_max are insignificant - or at least not too bad (max is about 15%), but the errors concerning the velocity at some points are much worse (max is 95%).

I noticed different things: The errors for step sizes from 10s to 100s are almost the same, no big difference and the errors for step size 1s is sometimes even bigger than the ones for higher step sizes. Is it possible, that the step size 0.5s is too small? And is there a minimum step size?

The simulation time is 12400s and the water tube is about 1.20m in length. It may also be a problem that the vortexes that occur behind the cylinder develop at different times by using different step sizes and that I just cannot evaluate the same points at the same simulation times. But if that's the case, wouldn't the errors for the step sizes 10s to 100s be very different, too?

Best regards
Alexander Spranger

0 Replies Last Post 2 mag 2014, 05:35 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alexander Spranger

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.