Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Weak form boundary condition, a problem of mechanics.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

As i tried to do the poroelastic simulation in PED , weak form, i firstly built up the weak equation for linear elastic part.

All ran fine, and was tested and compared with results obtained in Solid Mechanics(solid).

Then i tried to apply pressure (stress) to boundaries, as the equation : D*(ux+mu*vy)-1e6, where D is constant; ux is the derivitive of u( displacement along x-axis), and ux means the strain along x direction, and D*(ux+mu*vy) is stress along x. For simplification, D*ux-1e6 could be used for testing, which means at this boundary, the stress along x is 1e6 Pa.

And i tried all 3 weak boundaries: weak constraint, pointwise constraint, weak contribution.

If i use weak constraint, it seemed only the filed variables can be correctly used, i.e. set the weak constraint like a dirichlet BC. And if i write: D*ux-1e6, the stress seemed to be confined in the first adjacent layer of elements.

And if i use weak contribution, no such problem remained, but the BC could be affected by other equations. And although sometimes i could get the right distribution of wanted result, but the value is so not right. Like in one caculation, it was expected the stress to be 1e6, and the result turned out to be 5e5; and the displacement u and v were expected to be about 0.001, and the reults turned out to be like 3e-15.

So can any one would kindly help me with this problem? thx in advance~

2 Replies Last Post 15 mag 2014, 03:08 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mag 2014, 03:03 GMT-4
I think I may had the answer:

1. the equations and weak forms were all right

2. notice that: several operators can be used for derivative, as ux, d(u,x), dtang(u,x), tec. Although I can't quite tell the differences, but I tested them one by one, and discovered that I could use d(u,x) in weak contribution to apply force( stress, pressure, etc) as BC

it writes like this:
(D*(d(u,x)+mu*d(v,y))-1e6*nx)*test(u)
(D*(d(v,y)+mu*d(u,x))-1e6*ny)*test(v)
this could apply a 1e6 pressure to boundaries

meanwhile, I tried ux, dtang(u,x), and swept the test(u) and test(v), all attempts failed to get the right result

3. use weak constraint to apply displacement BC , like u-0.001
I think I may had the answer: 1. the equations and weak forms were all right 2. notice that: several operators can be used for derivative, as ux, d(u,x), dtang(u,x), tec. Although I can't quite tell the differences, but I tested them one by one, and discovered that I could use d(u,x) in weak contribution to apply force( stress, pressure, etc) as BC it writes like this: (D*(d(u,x)+mu*d(v,y))-1e6*nx)*test(u) (D*(d(v,y)+mu*d(u,x))-1e6*ny)*test(v) this could apply a 1e6 pressure to boundaries meanwhile, I tried ux, dtang(u,x), and swept the test(u) and test(v), all attempts failed to get the right result 3. use weak constraint to apply displacement BC , like u-0.001

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mag 2014, 03:08 GMT-4
I inspected the results:
displacement=sqrt(u^2+v^2)
stress along x: sigma_x = D*(ux+mu*vy) (here both ux, and d(u,x) get the right result)
von mises stress (equivalent stress): = sqrt(0.5*(sigma_x^2+sigma_y^2-sigma_x*sigma_y+3*txy^2))

all be equal to results caculated in Elastic Module

:)
I inspected the results: displacement=sqrt(u^2+v^2) stress along x: sigma_x = D*(ux+mu*vy) (here both ux, and d(u,x) get the right result) von mises stress (equivalent stress): = sqrt(0.5*(sigma_x^2+sigma_y^2-sigma_x*sigma_y+3*txy^2)) all be equal to results caculated in Elastic Module :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.