Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charged Particle Tracing Problems

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate the trajectory of a charged particle due to an electric and magnetic field. The magnetic field is due to a multi turn coil, so I used the (mf) study for that. My electric field is from voltage sources, which I made a separate study for using the (es) study.

When I setup the particle tracing, I do not solve for the electric of magnetic fields. I check off "Values of variables not solved for" and I can choose EITHER es or mf solution and not both at the same time. I need to be able use them both at the same time when simulating the trajectory. Any ideas on how to do this? I am quite new to COMSOL.

2 Replies Last Post 23 mag 2014, 12:48 GMT-4
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mag 2014, 11:21 GMT-4
Hi Richard, if you have separate studies for computing the magnetic fields and electric fields, then you just need to pass the solution from the magnetic fields study into the study computing the electric fields, then pass that solution into the study which computes the particle trajectories.

There is a Model Library example which demonstrates how to pass the solution from 2 prior studies into a third one. The model requires the AC/DC and Particle Tracing Modules.

www.comsol.com/model/particle-tracing-in-a-quadrupole-mass-spectrometer-10653
Hi Richard, if you have separate studies for computing the magnetic fields and electric fields, then you just need to pass the solution from the magnetic fields study into the study computing the electric fields, then pass that solution into the study which computes the particle trajectories. There is a Model Library example which demonstrates how to pass the solution from 2 prior studies into a third one. The model requires the AC/DC and Particle Tracing Modules. http://www.comsol.com/model/particle-tracing-in-a-quadrupole-mass-spectrometer-10653

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 mag 2014, 12:48 GMT-4

Hi Richard, if you have separate studies for computing the magnetic fields and electric fields, then you just need to pass the solution from the magnetic fields study into the study computing the electric fields, then pass that solution into the study which computes the particle trajectories.

There is a Model Library example which demonstrates how to pass the solution from 2 prior studies into a third one. The model requires the AC/DC and Particle Tracing Modules.

www.comsol.com/model/particle-tracing-in-a-quadrupole-mass-spectrometer-10653

Thank you! That worked. The only issue I have right now is that my current is not flowing the right direction for my multiturn coil. I chose a reference edge, and it is clockwise. I would like the current to flow counter clockwise, so I have tried to do this by applying a negative current, but it still gives me the wrong result (current still flowing clockwise).
[QUOTE] Hi Richard, if you have separate studies for computing the magnetic fields and electric fields, then you just need to pass the solution from the magnetic fields study into the study computing the electric fields, then pass that solution into the study which computes the particle trajectories. There is a Model Library example which demonstrates how to pass the solution from 2 prior studies into a third one. The model requires the AC/DC and Particle Tracing Modules. http://www.comsol.com/model/particle-tracing-in-a-quadrupole-mass-spectrometer-10653 [/QUOTE] Thank you! That worked. The only issue I have right now is that my current is not flowing the right direction for my multiturn coil. I chose a reference edge, and it is clockwise. I would like the current to flow counter clockwise, so I have tried to do this by applying a negative current, but it still gives me the wrong result (current still flowing clockwise).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.