Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing for Thin Extruded Work Plane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am working on modeling current in a very thin wire, and for now am just trying to make the mesh work. The contact pads (squares and trapezoids) and a wire are in a work plane which I then extruded to the necessary height. However, when I mesh I get warnings/errors that basically arise because of how thin the objects are. I tried building them not in a work plane, but COMSOL didn't allow me to select materials for the polygons, so that doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to separate the sides of an extruded work plane from the faces so I can mesh them separately?

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post 12 giu 2014, 06:02 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 giu 2014, 06:02 GMT-4
Hi Jonathan,

Since the magnetic fields are going to be all around the wires, you will have to build a domain there as well.

Then, from the COMSOL help on the Magnetic and Electric fields interface:
In three-dimensional models, if the conduction current in the modeled system is confined only in some regions (for example, a metallic coil) and most of the domains are non-conductive, it is to use the Magnetic Fields interface and apply the Single Turn Coil domain node on the conductive regions, instead of using this interface.

Since your conductive elements are so thin, is it not possible to put them in a separate 2d interface (and the wires maybe even in a 1d interface). It will be a bit of a hassle to properly couple all the interfaces but it should solve your meshing problem.
Hi Jonathan, Since the magnetic fields are going to be all around the wires, you will have to build a domain there as well. Then, from the COMSOL help on the Magnetic and Electric fields interface: In three-dimensional models, if the conduction current in the modeled system is confined only in some regions (for example, a metallic coil) and most of the domains are non-conductive, it is to use the Magnetic Fields interface and apply the Single Turn Coil domain node on the conductive regions, instead of using this interface. Since your conductive elements are so thin, is it not possible to put them in a separate 2d interface (and the wires maybe even in a 1d interface). It will be a bit of a hassle to properly couple all the interfaces but it should solve your meshing problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.